Price of Copper Beads vs Gold, Nickel

Old December 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike McGuire[_2_]

Default Price of Copper Beads vs Gold, Nickel

Got a little sticker shock in my local fly shop. Copper beads are $3.95
a pack of 25 while gold and nickel are $2.50. Looking around online it
seems to be a similar deal elsewhere. Now I weighed a package of 2.3 mm
beads which came out to about 1 gram or 0.0022 lbs. Now on the London
metal exchange http://www.metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/cu/cu.asp
copper was $3.04/lb yesterday so the cost of the copper in the package
of beads is less than 1 cent, so why the disparity in price?

Mike McGuire
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_32_]

Mike McGuire;102859 Wrote:
Got a little sticker shock in my local fly shop. Copper beads are $3.95
a pack of 25 while gold and nickel are $2.50. Looking around online it
seems to be a similar deal elsewhere. Now I weighed a package of 2.3 mm
beads which came out to about 1 gram or 0.0022 lbs. Now on the London
metal exchange 'Copper Prices, London Metal Exchange and COMEX copper
prices, Copper news, charts, historical prices.'
(http://tinyurl.com/2sav5h)
copper was $3.04/lb yesterday so the cost of the copper in the package
of beads is less than 1 cent, so why the disparity in price?

Mike McGuire

It's simple. If one buys them at that price, why not keep it there?

Is 25 yards of florocarbon tippet really worth $15.00?

We bite the bullet and pay their price anyway, so why not charge more
and more?

We buy $3.00/gallon of gas and put it on a charge card at 25% interest,
then complain about the cost of gas. Duh...

And don't even get me going on a bottle of water...:dizzy:

Consumers are the dumbest animals on planet earth!

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
John Leonard

Mike,

Did you check to see if the bead making company is owned by Chevron-Texaco?

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_26_]

Corndog;102871 Wrote:
And don't even get me going on a bottle of water...:dizzy:

Cdog

Come on... Whats wrong with bottled water?

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
*J-E-T-S Vice Chair Bring Back Rich Kotite as H.C. Comm.*
*(Former RSN) Chairman of Don't Sign A-Rod Committee*
*::16 - 0 Incontaminatus::*
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
NJpatbee[_6_]

I use beadheads for maybe 20% of the nymphs I tie and have opted for the
tungsten beads which have a gold, copper or nickel type coating. I have
been paying the same price for each type. Are the copper beads you
mentioned solid copper or coated steel?

--
NJpatbee

::NJPB::
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rckrego[_5_]

Personally, I will only drink water that comes from Rangiroa, and is
bottled in 100% recycled plastics. Why? Because $.0005 of every bottle
I drink goes to save starving french canadian children from being
clubbed by harp seals. And, at the same time, I can help to alter NJ's
climate due to the immense amount of energy wasted transporting my water
across the pacific ocean and then across the continent, thereby
eliminating my need to look for a vacation home because my own efforts
will soon put us on par with South Carolina. Only problem will be
trying to find trout!

--
rckrego