Waterproof fly box's

Old October 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
BB

Default Waterproof fly box's

Now maybe I lost the plot or didn't read the instructions (Well I'm a bloke
and it's traditional for us not to read them) but I ain't arf gettin a lot
of rusty flies.
Never happened before and I lost a couple of serious fish (yes they was
frowning) on a trip recently due to breakage.
Just wondering if it all has something to do with the waterproof fly box's
I've been using. Maybe they keep the moisture in. So taken to opening them
after fishing.
Anyone else found a similar phenominum?
BB

Old October 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , BB
wrote:
Now maybe I lost the plot or didn't read the instructions (Well I'm a bloke
and it's traditional for us not to read them) but I ain't arf gettin a lot
of rusty flies.
Never happened before and I lost a couple of serious fish (yes they was
frowning) on a trip recently due to breakage.
Just wondering if it all has something to do with the waterproof fly box's
I've been using. Maybe they keep the moisture in. So taken to opening them
after fishing.

Sounds like you need some silica gel :-(

Anyone else found a similar phenominum?

It's always a mistake to put a wet lure back in the box when you make a
change - a waterproof box will serve to amplify the problem.

For some reason I'm especially likely to do this when night fishing - and if
you're fishing salt water with *big* flies then there's soon plenty of rust
to go round.

Leaving the boxes open to dry is a good idea but beware that other problem -
they are then a magnet for clothes moths and you can find the box you dried
carefully and then closed before storing over the off season contains
nothing but dust and confetti when you return to it.

If you can interrupt the moth at a the right moment I suppose you might use
this as a means to convert a box of overdressed monstrosities into deadly,
sparsely dressed, lean and mean fish killers ... hmm, wishful thinking I
fear.

I mostly use small boxes these days. Small boxes mean I lose fewer flies per
cock-up.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old October 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Keith

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:16:32 +0100, "BB"
wrote:

Now maybe I lost the plot or didn't read the instructions (Well I'm a bloke
and it's traditional for us not to read them) but I ain't arf gettin a lot
of rusty flies.
Never happened before and I lost a couple of serious fish (yes they was
frowning) on a trip recently due to breakage.
Just wondering if it all has something to do with the waterproof fly box's
I've been using. Maybe they keep the moisture in. So taken to opening them
after fishing.
Anyone else found a similar phenominum?
BB

I have a sheepskin patch on my waistcoat and put used flies in that. I
only bother emptying it and put them back in the box when it starts to
get a bit overcrowded.. I tend to use only a small range of
flies/nymphs these days so find it a lot more convenient. The flies
soon dry out and that way wet flies never get back into a fly box.
Keith
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Keith
writes
wrote:

[...]

What ever happened to Amadou ?
--
Bill Grey

Old October 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Keith

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:58:54 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , Keith
writes
wrote:

[...]

Nothing I just finf it a lot more convenient having a section readily
available without fiddling around with boxes especially if I'm up to
the top of my waders plus I'm basically a lazy sod ;-)
Keith

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
BB

Yeh I use a fly patch also.
So flies go back dry just feel there is a link since there is always
condensation. Could all be a coincedence
Use amadou on my CDC's quite a bit.

"Keith" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:58:54 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , Keith
writes