a bit of advice please on whips ( fishing question that is )

Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default a bit of advice please on whips ( fishing question that is )

This brought the old minnow trap to mind, plastic drinks bottle with the
cone end cut off and reversed then wired back on. Add a few holes to allow
water ( but not little fish ) to go through and a bit of bait and you have
your own mini fish catcher.VBG

Will have to show that to the boys.

Taking him for our first pole fishing session tomorrow,a first for both of
us. I converted the whip so it has an elasticised end after talking to some
locals who suggested it might be better for a beginner.(;-)

I got to catch as I have nearly 5 years without blanking so I HAVE GOT TO
CATCH.VBG

My pond started off as a natural with frogs, toads and newts but I succumbed
to a ghost carp which soon outgrew it. I think I still have a couple of
tench in there but the goldfish came when my daughters fish tank cracked and
I never was one for killing fish. From six little fish I ended up with 83 in
just three years when I did my last netting 3 years ago, I gave most of them
to the local school as they had a new pond. Got no one who wants them now so
I have to let them kill themselves by over population or cull lots of little
fish. It is illegal to let them go in the wild or even in local ornamental
ponds. Had one solution this morning as I got up to a heron on my back wall,
if he took the little ones I would not mind but he takes the big ones.

--
Gandalf

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Gandalf
writes
Almost any stream 10 mile sup the road from Cricklade in Swindon. We seem
be having a glut of them I am glad to say. You may have to fish around a
few
natural obstacles though like shopping trolleys.VBG

Par for the course! I shall go for a look, then, see if I can't net myself
a few.

I did the whole thing with a net for the grandsons a year back and we
caught
5 in one scoop, 3 spin if I remember correctly. I did think of trying with
stick and hook but did not want to show myself up.VBG

When we were kids, we used to catch them on worms. They used to cling to
the end of the worm rather than getting hooked, and you could often catch
two at a time. A friend of mine had a baby bath sunken into his garden, in
which we used to have stickleback fishing competitions, tying the worm on
and using a matchstick for a float. Particularly popular after blanking
somewhere else!