Using keepnets

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
MC[_2_]

Default Using keepnets

I am still supprised at the amount of keepnets I see in use for pleasure
anglers. I understand the use of keepnets for match fishing but for
pleasure fishing just seems unecessary to me. The amount of large bream I
have seen, during my recent 10 day visit to the Broads, damaged by being
kept in keepnets was horrendous. I cannot remember the last time I used a
keepnet and I do not use one these days so why do some people still insist
on using them.

MC

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , MC
wrote:
I am still supprised at the amount of keepnets I see in use for pleasure
anglers. I understand the use of keepnets for match fishing but for
pleasure fishing just seems unecessary to me.

On the one hand there are several shoaling species which will quickly move
off if fish are released close to the feeding shoal. If they're given time
in a net to calm down they don't take the others with them when released -
but it's hard to release fish in order as you add others to the net. I
suppose two or three nets might be used together in some sort of rota...
- and some fish really do have a better recovery rate if kept in a
carefully set net.

On the other hand the fashion for seat-box based fishing discourages roving
and makes even releasing a little way along the bank difficult.

Then there's the undeniable appeal of a net of fish for pike - there's
no better attractor for predators.

The amount of large bream I
have seen, during my recent 10 day visit to the Broads, damaged by being
kept in keepnets was horrendous.

It's unusual for general pleasure anglers to catch many large bream - how
many are you talking about and what sort of damage?

I cannot remember the last time I used a
keepnet and I do not use one these days so why do some people still insist
on using them.

I last used one back in the winter and I shall do so again when appropriate.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I last used one back in the winter and I shall do so again when
appropriate.

******** Derek,
They do more harm than good :-(
Alec (on a high with his best ever chub yesterday - 5lb plus:-)
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Is it not down to the angler and not the use of nets. I used to use keep
nets a lot for all sorts except pike and carp and I have never had a damaged
fish even with large catches. I release in the water so the fish are not
crushed when lifted on the bank which I had to admit a lot of occasional
anglers do not seem to do so maybe promoting the proper use of the kit is
more important.

Having come back to fishing I have noticed a lot more fishermen who care
less about the environment with mess and line left at the bank, not only
youngsters either.

Just a thought.

--
Gandalf

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Richard

"MC" wrote in message
I am still supprised at the amount of keepnets I see in use for pleasure
anglers. I understand the use of keepnets for match fishing but for
pleasure fishing just seems unecessary to me. The amount of large bream I
have seen, during my recent 10 day visit to the Broads, damaged by being
kept in keepnets was horrendous. I cannot remember the last time I used a
keepnet and I do not use one these days so why do some people still insist
on using them.

MC

When pleasure fishing I rarely use a keepnet ...... can't be bothered with
the additional work of getting it perfectly dry before storage. However, one
club I am a member of only allows keepnets during matches.

I do match fish and the rules set by various local clubs etc are varied and
the most common rules are;

1. One net only but barble and carp are caught, weighed and released when
appropriate (for example barble often need some recovery period).

2. Two nets, one for carp and one for silver fish.

1 is more common on genuine mixed fisheries when both carp and barble would
be caught in very low numbers, particularly during a match when just a
couple of each are _normally_ caught.

2 is more common on carp dominated match venues. The carp would normally be
mid single figures (low double figure max). When they reach double figures
the owners normally transfer the fish to their specimen lakes where keep
nets are not allowed. Even so some owners still apply a maximum number of
carp per net for their match lakes (around 10) when they have to be weighed
and released.

Whilst the foregoing are the rules for the Clubs and other Venues I commonly
use in Suffolk they do not reflect my views ........ Imo there are some good
points and bad points in all the different rules used. In passing not only
regarding keepnets but also rules that apply to baits, landing nets, weigh
slings, unhooking mats, hooks, line, braid, feeders, rigs, night fishing,
day fishing, membership reductions etc etc.

Around my area I think everyone tries their best though and they all provide
excellent fishing for all types of anglers, and during the week you can have
a venue pretty much to yourself.

Richard

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Steve Walker

In message , MC
writes

I understand the use of keepnets for match fishing but for
pleasure fishing just seems unecessary to me.

Which bit of pleasure fishing /do/ you consider to be necessary? Used
properly a keepnet does no harm, certainly when compared to catching the
fish in the first place.

--
Steve Walker
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

In my understanding over the last couple of decades or so, the use of a keep
net was for weighing the total catch at the match venue, or for carp
recovery in exceptional circumstances, however, i agree that far too many
anglers today, especially the young simply use one when pleasure fishing in
order to look as though they are 'real fishermen' and have little or no
regard for the effects of its use, they are prone to lifting it from the
water without emptying the fish first (this causes distress to the fish and
sometimes damage to their bouyancy control) they often lift to show the next
kid then drop it back in (again more stress). the only way to prevent the
missuse of nets and to protect the fish from the inexperienced out there is
to ban them unless for matches or use by a pleasure fisherman of proven
experience. perhaps an addition to the rod licence may put off the 'show
offs' and the use of nets without proper cause?
just my opinion is all.

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , MC
writes