Tying Rigs

Old August 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Tony Fendall

Default Tying Rigs

I have just tied a few carp rigs for the first time.
There is a big problem with tying hair rigs on all but the largest hooks,
you can't thread the leader through the hook eye twice, there isn't enough
room through the eye.
Can anyone offer guidance please?
Tony

Old August 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , Tony Fendall
writes
I have just tied a few carp rigs for the first time.
There is a big problem with tying hair rigs on all but the largest hooks,
you can't thread the leader through the hook eye twice, there isn't enough
room through the eye.
Can anyone offer guidance please?
Tony

I don't find a problem using the knotless knot for tying hair rigs down
to size 12, what line are you using?

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Richard

"Tony Fendall" wrote in message
I have just tied a few carp rigs for the first time.
There is a big problem with tying hair rigs on all but the largest hooks,
you can't thread the leader through the hook eye twice, there isn't enough
room through the eye.
Can anyone offer guidance please?
Tony

Size of the eye varies a bit but Ime with say 12/15lb you are alright with a
knotless knot down to a hook size of 10 .... probably lower if you have
better manual dexterity lol.

Richard

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , Tony
writes
Am using 15lb with size 10, but 2 strands won't go through the eye.
Tony

"Richard" wrote in
message ...

"Tony Fendall" wrote in message
I have just tied a few carp rigs for the first time.
There is a big problem with tying hair rigs on all but the largest
hooks, you can't thread the leader through the hook eye twice, there
isn't enough room through the eye.
Can anyone offer guidance please?
Tony

Size of the eye varies a bit but Ime with say 12/15lb you are alright
with a knotless knot down to a hook size of 10 .... probably lower if
you have better manual dexterity lol.

Richard

That's probably a bit heavy for the hook size if you're using mono (be
fine with braid). I tend to use braid for most of my carp rigs, but when
on mono I use 8-10lb for 12-8 hooks, 10-12lb for 8-6 and 15lb for 6+.
There's not much point in using very heavy line on the smaller hook
sizes as the hook will straighten far before the line breaks - I aim for
a line breaking strain that can just cause the hook to straighten before
the line breaks, except with braid when I won't go below 15lb (around
the same diameter as 5lb mono) as the very low diameter braids below
this breaking strain can cause damage to fish (they act like a cheese
wire and can cut into the fish).

BTW it's customary to bottom post on usenet, not top post, makes for
easier reading.

Will
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Tony[_5_]

"Will Wilkinson" wrote in message
In message , Tony
writes
[...]

Will,
That is very helpful. Tackle dealers have not been selling me the right
materials to suit the hooks.
I am not sure what bottom posting is, but will try to get it right next
time.
Tony

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Richard

"Tony" wrote in message
Am using 15lb with size 10, but 2 strands won't go through the eye.
Tony

BTW I don't normally use mono for rigs, if you are then 15lb would have too
large a diameter for a No10 hook ...... whereas something like a 15lb
Kryston Mantis Gold should be ok ....... 2 strands certainly go through the
eye of a No8 dead easy. I also reckon the Korda 10lb fluro will be ok with a
No10 hook, and make for a better balance/safety rig overall ..... although
other characteristics of the rig design should control safety.

Imo you don't need a big hook or strong line to land decent carp ...... the
majority of the strength is required to avoid crack-off on casting.
Certainly when pole fishing with a properly balanced set-up (pole top
through to hook) I would expect (in open water) to be able to land carp to
15lbs on a No16 hook and 5lb line with a medium elastic ....... better fun
than winding the fish in with a 2.75TC carp rod ;o)

No matter what you are doing though pole through to 2.75TC Carp rod (and all
the other options) you need to design the rig to suite the situation. I do
that for each swim at each venue. For example, I landed a 11lb 6oz common
carp on a No14 hook, 5lb line and medium (grey hydro) elastic on Friday (Peg
16) but if I had been at the same venue on Peg 18 that approach would have
been suicide.

Hope all that helps a bit .......... Richard