any tips on cathing mangrove jacks?

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
swarvegorilla

Default any tips on cathing mangrove jacks?

after a small one for a fishtank
any tips on hooking them up?
currently in northern NSW
know they are around Brunswick and Ballina
in river mouths
but ya, tackle, bait, time day tips
greatly appreciated

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:33 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
Brad

Default any tips on feeding mangrove jacks?

If you have ever tried for bream near mangrove roots you will know where to
look for jacks. Use heavier gear and a slightly overdone drag (locked up is
one way to say it), fish amongst the overhanging branches at the turn of the
tide with yabbie or prawn (live is always best for any fishing) with as
little lead as possible. Working barra lures is another (if more expensive)
way to target them. If you have already caught a small one you should have
some idea that these guys play for keeps and are one of the hardest fighting
fish for their size. From what I've seen the only thing to compare them with
is their cousin that I do battle with up here, with a black reputation.
Expect a bycatch of cod and bream, for the really large ones you need to
target the offshore reefs but there are other fish to worry about on the
reef.........

--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E WGS84

u...

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:04 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
swarvegorilla

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

They are amazing fish. I think my error has been giving them a bit too much
slack to do their run on.
Aside from mantis shrimp and octopus they are my favourite marine aquarium
predators.
Very cool.