Shiners

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

Default Shiners

Anybody ever catfish with live shiners?

FLA 34
fsu 7
http://community.webtv.net/cypswamp/LAWTEYFLORIDAHUNTIN

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

Marvin Osborne wrote:
Anybody ever catfish with live shiners?

Live or dead they are about the best catfish bait there is, I believe
live is better,, I have caught thousands of cat fish on shiners, many
times when I was not fishing for cats. If a cat fish is there, they will
always hit a shiner. Most people don't use them only because of the
cost. Many never catch cats with them, because they don't fish them on
or near the bottom

Many times the bait store will give you their dead shiners, I always get
as many as they will give me, or I offer to buy them (at a reduced cost
of course)

Small minnows are a cat fishes natural food,, they don't see many
chicken livers, stink bait, hot dogs or even "cut" bait, unless a hook
is hidden in it :-)
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

"Rodney Long" wrote in message

Small minnows are a cat fishes natural food,, they don't see many chicken
livers, stink bait, hot dogs or even "cut" bait, unless a hook is hidden
in it :-)

We regularly pull in 25 lb'rs using a complete live brim, usually about a 6
incher. I use shiners all the time, but usually only catch smaller 1-3 lb
fish (nothing wrong with them of course, just saying). In our area so far I
have found the best bait for Catfish is Shad, both dead and alive. Since
Shad is abundant in their feeding area below our spillway, using 4-6 inch
shad never fails to pull in a large cat. As far as stink bait goes, I have
been pretty successful with it, very successful in fact. But I prefer some
sort of live bait. I have had medium sucess with chicken livers, and never
used a hot dog.

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

JeffinMS wrote:

We regularly pull in 25 lb'rs using a complete live brim, usually about a 6
incher. I use shiners all the time, but usually only catch smaller 1-3 lb
fish (nothing wrong with them of course, just saying).

I have caught up to 20 pounders on shiners, but your right most are
"pan" size on shiners, but I also always use shad if they are available,
I have caught them over 70 lbs on shad.

For the pan, those 1 to 3 pounders are what your wanting

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

I have used them live and cut up and only caught smaller ones. My pet
bullhead eats them, i put any left over live ones in the tank. When i get up
in the morning 1 is missing till they are all gone.

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:22 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish

I watched a guy at Lake Alto in Waldo,Fla.He soaked some bread in water
then threw it in the lake,after about 5 minutes he threw a bait net over
the spot he threw bread.Came up with about 20 shiners in one throw.I
stopped at wally world on the way home and bought a bait net!