Waterproof, clear top, multiple use fly box???

Old October 18th, 2003, 09:41 PM

Default Waterproof, clear top, multiple use fly box???

I have brought this subject up before, but I am now ready to replace
some aging fly boxes and I was curious as to your
experiences/knowledge/latest offerings in fly boxes.

What I want is a clear top, waterproof, multiple use box (some foam,
compartments, magnetic area (perhaps) etc.), and with lanyard capable.
I am imaging a box that I could take with dry flies, midges,
streamers and nymphs – float tube size (big) and packin' size {little)
and durable…

Any Suggestions?

Chris 'Padishar Creel' Fanning
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:55 PM
flyline

I found the best fly boxes to be made from the multiday pill cases available
at drug stores. You can get clear ones that snap together. They have
hinged individual compartments. If you want some to be magnetic just glue
adhesive sheet to the bottom of the compartments. Another advantage is that
most boxes have curved compartment bottoms that make it easy to slide out
small flies. Best of all the boxes are usually under $5.00 each!

--
flyline

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of
whatever a body is not obliged to do." - Mark Twain

om...

Old October 18th, 2003, 11:37 PM

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:55:47 GMT, "flyline" wrote:

I found the best fly boxes to be made from the multiday pill cases available
at drug stores. You can get clear ones that snap together. They have
hinged individual compartments. If you want some to be magnetic just glue
adhesive sheet to the bottom of the compartments. Another advantage is that
most boxes have curved compartment bottoms that make it easy to slide out
small flies. Best of all the boxes are usually under $5.00 each!

The ones I tried weren't watertight. Spent a day with very few flies
to use as the rest were sitting on the truck dashboard with all those
little tops open so they could dry out in the sun.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:03 AM
flyline

Of course you've got to check top fit when you buy. I've taken dunkings in
the Madison, Yuba, Carson, Pit, Sacramento and American (I fall alot D).
Nary a drop in the boxes and I've used them for many years.

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Hooked

I do believe Plano makes boxes, that may not be "water proof" but they do
have a seal around the lid to help keep water out.

Check out this page:
http://www.planomolding.com/outdoorp...frameset2.html

om...

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Hooked

Damn link doesn't work too well. On the left side you'll see, and click on,
"Tackle Systems" then "Small Storage."

I don't know if you can order direct from Plano, but their boxes are
available at most K-Marts, Wall-Marts, Shopkos, etc. Your local tackle shop
might have them too.

Old October 19th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Hooked

Doing a Google search for "Plano Tackle Storage" I came upon this:

http://www.eangler.com/proshop/produ...=5042&dept_id=

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Cornmuse

C&F Designs. Best fly boxes I have ever owned. Typical disclaimer
applies - no direct relation, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Joe C.

om...

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Flyguy

"Hooked" wrote in message
Damn link doesn't work too well. On the left side you'll see, and click

on,
"Tackle Systems" then "Small Storage."

I don't know if you can order direct from Plano, but their boxes are
available at most K-Marts, Wall-Marts, Shopkos, etc. Your local tackle

shop
might have them too.

Home depot use to sell them 6 for $10.00

flyguy