Do you know where your posts end up?

Old May 8th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Stephen Welsh

Default Do you know where your posts end up?

Did you know that http://www.fishing-forum.com/fly/

is using your posts to rooff rofft?

Steve

Old May 8th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Stephen Welsh wrote:
Did you know that http://www.fishing-forum.com/fly/

is using your posts to rooff rofft?

No big deal. When you post something to Usenet it's for
all intents and purposes free for the taking. That's one
reason it's a bad idea to post someone else's copyrighted
stuff to Usenet.

fishing-forum.com is not much different than Google in
what they do with our posts to roff and rofft.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 10th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Stephen Welsh

Ken Fortenberry wrote in
.com:

Stephen Welsh wrote:
Did you know that http://www.fishing-forum.com/fly/

is using your posts to rooff rofft?

No big deal. When you post something to Usenet it's for
all intents and purposes free for the taking. That's one
reason it's a bad idea to post someone else's copyrighted
stuff to Usenet.

fishing-forum.com is not much different than Google in
what they do with our posts to roff and rofft.

Similar to google: I suppose. I was a little surprised that
a 'com'mercial concern are able to muscle in on google to
even that degree.

Anyway, as you say no big deal, original posted as an FYI ...

I found their promo amusing: "Promoting fishing Discussion"

;-)

Steve
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Scott Seidman

Stephen Welsh wrote in
. 1.4:

Ken Fortenberry wrote in
.com:

Stephen Welsh wrote:
Did you know that http://www.fishing-forum.com/fly/

is using your posts to rooff rofft?

No big deal. When you post something to Usenet it's for
all intents and purposes free for the taking. That's one
reason it's a bad idea to post someone else's copyrighted
stuff to Usenet.

fishing-forum.com is not much different than Google in
what they do with our posts to roff and rofft.

Similar to google: I suppose. I was a little surprised that
a 'com'mercial concern are able to muscle in on google to
even that degree.

Anyway, as you say no big deal, original posted as an FYI ...

I found their promo amusing: "Promoting fishing Discussion"

;-)

Steve

It's not muscling in-- its simply running a usenet gateway with a web
client. They are pretty good about letting people know that this is a
usenet gateway, and not their own forum.

FWIW, in some cases its not harmless. It can confuse people about the
medium they're posting in. One such site, mathforum, really inundated
some of the more techie groups with "do my homework for me, Pleassseeee"
type posts, and it became real annoying.

Scott