ARRRGGGHH! Carp!!!

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Zoe

Default ARRRGGGHH! Carp!!!

My local lake (about 3 acres) has Carp, but no matter what I do, they don't
feed in the winter! Boilies and nuts are banned BTW.

Surely sweetcorn over a spod of hemp should produce!

I plumbed, and picked the deepest water. Spodded one spod of Dynamite Baits
hemp and sweetcorn, With a few trout pellets, then put a critically balanced
3 sweetcorn hair as hook bait.

What am I doing wrong?

Old January 10th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Hoot!!!

The carp are not in your fishing area

try fishing another spot

where are you fishing?

try a glugged trout or carp pellet

can you use ground bait?

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Zoe

I have tried margins, and deep water. Nothing.

I have also used Trout and Halibut Pellet, but no response. Also used
maggot.

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Zoe

Hi Pepperoni.

How do you locate fish in the winter? They don't surface, and you can't see
them.

BTW, other people have been on Pepperami, cheese, and all the usual baits,
and haven't caught. They don't seem to take any bait.

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the

lake.
There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I prefer to
locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the

year,
a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer prepared
salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on

tiny
trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook. This
bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
illegal in some States and locales.

You may not be doing anything "wrong". Some species merely bite better in
winter than others.

Old January 10th, 2004, 11:02 PM
LOOPY LEE

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
[...]

what sort of depth are you fishing . Remember the carp will be at a depth
that they find comftable. This may no be on the bottom. If you have around
6' and are allowed 3 rods try a zig rig 5' deep with 3 grains of artificial
corn (flavoured) on one rod. On another rod use a 3' zig rig with the same
bait and on your 3ed rod use the same just off the bottom.
To flavour your artificial corn make a soak up of your favourite
additives or use one of the solar pot shots.
let us know how you get on
Leigh
www.crawleyanglingsociety.co.uk

Old January 11th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Richard

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
[...]

You have taken the words right out of my mouth ..... just about to post
about the zig rig ...... spot on m8.

---

Old January 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Dave Smith

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
In winter there is very slight temperature difference throughout the

lake.
There is little reason to fish the deepest part of the lake. I prefer to
locate the fish and then fish in their movement area. Throughout the

year,
a depth of 5-10 feet is my preferred depth. Here (US), I prefer prepared
salmon eggs as bait in winter (treated to make them firm) , fished on

tiny
trebles. This makes a nice cluster with a single egg on each hook. This
bait attracts numerous species, but may not be legal bait on designated
trout water. (laws vary greatly by location) Curiously, corn is also
illegal in some States and locales.

Trebles?
for Pike (Muskie) yes but surly not for Carp?
Do you guys use hair rigs?

Old January 11th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Zoe

Cheers. I must admit, I have never used a Zig Rig.

Do you usually fish it as a single hook bait?