when is a pike a jack and when is it not?

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:29 PM
SS

Default when is a pike a jack and when is it not?

what defines a pike as being a Jack pike?

SS

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Activeviii

a male pike is a Jack.

the only reason we call all small pike jacks is because the male don't grow
as large as the females so we tend to call smaller pike jacks, so you cant
call an average weight for a jack as it depends on the average size of the
males in the water.
hope this answers the question.

all the best.
Phil.

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Dave Smith

"SS" wrote in message
what defines a pike as being a Jack pike?

SS

Usually describes a Pike in single figures.
supose it is meant to male fish as they don't grow beyond 10lb, ALL Pike
over 10lb are females.
of course those under 10lb are a mixture of small females and males.