FA; Posts in this group.

Old March 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
cc READER

Default FA; Posts in this group.

Hi there,
I have received a letter from my ISP accusing me of posting spam.
Apparently, they have had 2 complaints from the same person concerning my FA
posts in this group.
Now I think this is absurd. There is, according to the person at Virgin
Security, a constitution for this group (but it doesn't rule out adverts).
I throw the matter to the groups readers, and I'd really like to know: 1)
Who the complainer was, and 2) Do you not want adverts posted?
Please reply
ATB
Chris.

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-03-20, cc READER wrote:
Hi there,
I have received a letter from my ISP accusing me of posting spam.
Apparently, they have had 2 complaints from the same person concerning my FA
posts in this group.
Now I think this is absurd. There is, according to the person at Virgin
Security, a constitution for this group (but it doesn't rule out adverts).
I throw the matter to the groups readers, and I'd really like to know: 1)
Who the complainer was, and 2) Do you not want adverts posted?

I can't say who complained, but I did dig up the original newsgroup charter.
There's a chance it's changed since written, but this is what's archived:

The Charter
-------------
"The purpose of the newsgroup rec.outdoors.fishing
shall be to provide an open forum for the discussion
of all aspects of sport and commercial fishing. This
shall include all technical aspects as well as
peripheral areas of discussion such as fishing
reports, 'fish stories', and where to go. The
discussion shall also include management and
moralistic issues but only as they pertain to the
success of fishing activity (sport or commercial), for
example Catch-and- Release versus Keep-and-Kill,
hatchery issues, and maintenance of habitat to name a
few."

I got to it after following an FTP link at

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=policies:rfd

There is no commercial injunction; however, Usenet had a bad history as
the origin of commercial SPAM, and lots of folks are sensitive about it.
I'd suggest keeping the commercial stuff at alow level, and at least try
to make up for it with a fish story or three.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "cc READER"

| Hi there,
| I have received a letter from my ISP accusing me of posting spam.
| Apparently, they have had 2 complaints from the same person concerning my FA
| posts in this group.
| Now I think this is absurd. There is, according to the person at Virgin
| Security, a constitution for this group (but it doesn't rule out adverts).
| I throw the matter to the groups readers, and I'd really like to know: 1)
| Who the complainer was, and 2) Do you not want adverts posted?
| Please reply
| ATB
| Chris.

This is the FIRST time you have posted text.
All of your previous posts were indeed spamming ebay auctions.

While the Charter does not specifically prohibit "spam" the Charter was created back in
1992. Before spam became a problem in Usenet.

The charter however does NOT include that sale of items. It does specifically state
"discussions" and what is considered On Topic for the News Group.

Therefore, please stop spamming this news Group with eBay auctions.

---

Charter obtained from ISC.Org

From Thu Jul 30 16:27:03 1992
Control: newgroup rec.outdoors.fishing
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing
From:
(David C Lawrence)
Subject: newgroup rec.outdoors.fishing
Sender:
(David C Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 20:24:19 GMT

rec.outdoors.fishing is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
creation by 238:29 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 24 Jul 1992.

For your newsgroups file:
rec.outdoors.fishing All aspects of sport and commercial fishing.

The charter, culled from the call for votes:

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm