Fly tying bench

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Dave Parlette

Default Fly tying bench

I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking for
some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Hooked

"Dave Parlette" wrote in message
I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking

for
some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

You could try a "Google" search for fly tying desks, but wouldn't it be a
lot nicer if you made something unique? Something you design and build on
your own? Think about the space you will require, and what you'll want
sitting on top of the desk. Then think about where you'll be storing your
materials and tools. I've seen many desks that look like rolltop desks, and
I've seen many that have little rails around the outside for holding spools
of thread and tools. Try the "Google" search for ideas, and think up what
you'd like to tie on. Then you'll really be happy.

Old December 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Dave LaCourse

Dave Parlette writes:

I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking for
some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

I don't know about plans, but there are always fly tying benches advertised in
the fly fishing/tying books. This one is advertised in Fly Tyer:
http://flytyingfurniture.com/

And this one also:
http://stoneycreekflytying.com/

Also, some fly shops have the fly tying benches that can be set on a table.
For example, see:
http://huntersangling.com/

I've never actually seen plans, but if you are handy with woodworking, I'm
willing to bet you could probably draw your own plans, and get some ideas of
what you want by seeing some examples of what is out there.

Good luck. Happy New Year.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old December 29th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Larry and a cat named Dub

I built my own out of corion (by Dupont) and oak. It makes a fantastic top.
I wood burned some fly's in the oak before I stained it . I set it on a
utility cabinet and added drawers to the cabinet. I am going to change the
arm and drill the holes for the scissors at a 45d angle. I was new at tying
so I wasn't sure what would work best and what was best placed where. If you
like Ill post a picture.

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:42 PM
egildone

Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less than
$20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.

http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginner.../bl031209a.htm

--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM
Bob Twombly

I did a "bench" out of a plastic cutting board, a fold up table and a small
parts organizer. The whole set up cost under $50 and I tye about 500-1000
flys per year. The fold up table is one of those that you can get at a
department store or office supply store. It has metal legs and fiberboard
top covered with that brown woody looking plastic covering($30). I set a
non stick plastic cutting board($8) in the middle and clamp it to the table
with my vice to hold it in place. It gives a nice background vs. the dark
brown of the table and nothing sticks to it. The parts organizer can be
found in a hardware or department store for about ($10). I store the bulk
material in the rubber maid plastic containers with mothballs. Those are
stacked up on either side of the cutting board for easy access as well as
under the table. It is not fancy but serves me well for little money. I
have used this setup for about 5 years very happily.

Old January 1st, 2004, 11:34 PM
egildone

I also saw one similar to the one pictured, but they raised the bench about
3 " by attaching boards to the sides and back, then hung a couple of drawers
under the main board.

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
DaveMohnsen

"egildone" wrote in message
Here's a neat idea for making your own bench. Fritz did it for less than
$20.00! Thinking about doing it myself.

http://fishing.about.com/cs/beginner.../bl031209a.htm

--
Ed (remove nospam to reply)

"Dave Parlette" wrote in message
I enjoy tying my own flies and also do a lot of woodworking. I'm looking

for
some plans for a fly tying bench. Does anyone know where I can get one.

Hi Ed,
Looked at the link. Kinda neat. Went to Walmart the other day and paid
about $12.00 US for the stuff (boards and dowels). I don't need another . .
..I just looked around the house . . .got 5 already . . .but I just . . .just
.. . . tremble . . .tremble . . .had to see it. Will start somebody on the
project soon, I suspect.
Thanks,
DaveMohnsen
Denver