mystery bug frustration

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Mu Young Lee

Default mystery bug frustration

Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
aggressively. Anyone what they might be?

Mu
Old October 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
MikeT

Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

Mike T

c.itd.umich.edu...

Old October 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Skwala

"Mu Young Lee" wrote in message
c.itd.umich.edu...
Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
aggressively. Anyone what they might be?

Mu

It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?

A quick Google search indicates they do come in 3 mm sizes.

Old October 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:

It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?

There are cicadas that hatch from the water?

Mu
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:

Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

But these bugs don;t bite.

Mu
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Skwala

"Mu Young Lee" wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:

It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?

There are cicadas that hatch from the water?

Mu

Not that I know about, but they do hatch from bark the extends over the
water, or from close to the water and are blown in to it.

I've seen big cicadas (approx. 1 inch) cause trout rises in central Montana
streams and beaver ponds, when they hatched in pretty good numbers and were
blown into the water.

But come to think about it, I've only seen circadas in summer months (but
I've never seen a 3 mm one, either).

Skwala

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:56 PM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:30:40 -0400, Mu Young Lee wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:

Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

But these bugs don;t bite.

Mu

Plus blackflies don't like stillwater IIRC. They are more attracted to
whitewater. Maybe you've discovered a new species! Simulida Vang Splorkus.

g.c.
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:03 AM
bruiser

Cranefly? Weird Caddis?

bruce h

Old October 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM
riverman

"Mu Young Lee" wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:

Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

But these bugs don;t bite.

Mu

Can you get a picture and post it?

--riverman

Old October 15th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, riverman wrote:

Can you get a picture and post it?

Didn;t have my camera with me. Also wouldn;t have done much good as I
don't have macro mode on it.

Mu