Vodka taste test results FYI

Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Vodka taste test results FYI

More out of convenience than planning, I found myself with an opportunity to
conduct my aforementioned taste test on various see through spirits. I did
not amass a statistically significant sample size; in fact, the number of
participants was one.

Finding myself in a PA State Store to pick up some bubbly, I took the
opportunity to pick up small bottles of Grey Goose & Stolichnaya. Along
with the Luksosova (and Popov rotgut) on hand, I figured I had enough
variety for a test.

SWMBO poured a small quantity into several nearly identical shot glasses,
and I tasted each one, with a small piece of whole wheat bread in between.

First taste was very smooth and clean; nice warmth, no nasty aftertaste.
Very nice. I liked it.
Second glass was also smooth, also clean, different from but not much
different from the first. I liked it also.
Third glass was distinctly different from the first two. Strong taste,
strong aftertaste. More of a bite to let you know you were drinking
straight spirits. (SWMBO also tried the test, but knew which was which.
She used the term "paint thinner" for the Luksosova, but that's a bit harsh.
It's not that bad, just not as smooth as the other two.)

My preference was in the same order as I tasted. Not surprisingly, that was
also in their respective order of cost. Although it was borderline, I did
like the Grey Goose slightly better than the Stoli, but the difference was
very minor and did not justify the additional price tag IMO. I will
henceforth banish the Luksosova to Bloody Mary duty and go buy myself a
full-sized bottle of Stoli.

wayno, you're right again.

Joe F.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rb608" wrote in message

... like the Grey Goose slightly better than the Stoli, but the difference

was
very minor and did not justify the additional price tag IMO. I will
henceforth banish the Luksosova to Bloody Mary duty and go buy myself a
full-sized bottle of Stoli.

wayno, you're right again.

a couple months back, I read an article in which 10 brands of vodka were
blindtested, ranged from Smirnoff up to Grey Goose and a couple even
pricier. The results were kind of funny to one who never appreciated vodka
for anything, might be shocking to vodka afficianados. I have to dig it up
for the final tally, but suffice it to say, pricing was damned near
meaningless.
Tom

Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Thomas Littleton" wrote in message

"rb608" wrote in message

... like the Grey Goose slightly better than the Stoli, but the difference

was
very minor and did not justify the additional price tag IMO. I will
henceforth banish the Luksosova to Bloody Mary duty and go buy myself a
full-sized bottle of Stoli.

wayno, you're right again.

a couple months back, I read an article in which 10 brands of vodka were
blindtested, ranged from Smirnoff up to Grey Goose and a couple even
pricier. The results were kind of funny to one who never appreciated vodka
for anything, might be shocking to vodka afficianados. I have to dig it up
for the final tally, but suffice it to say, pricing was damned near
meaningless.

It would be handy....and perhaps revealing....to know what the respective
alcohol contents were too.

Wolfgang
who knows that as in so many things, more is not necessarily better.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

Wolfgang
who knows that as in so many things, more is not necessarily better.

Yet another example of this principle is your status as ROFF's all-time
most frequent poster. I'd also add the most prolix, the most obscure,
the most egomaniacal, and the most hostile -- four more examples of the
principle.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wolfgang wrote:

Wolfgang
who knows that as in so many things, more is not necessarily better.

Yet another example of this principle is your status as ROFF's all-time
most frequent poster. I'd also add the most prolix, the most obscure, the
most egomaniacal, and the most hostile -- four more examples of the
principle.

Stevie's law!

Wolfgang
even bats and feral cats learn......

Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rb608" wrote

I did
like the Grey Goose slightly better than the Stoli, but the difference was
very minor and did not justify the additional price tag IMO. I will
henceforth banish the Luksosova to Bloody Mary duty and go buy myself a
full-sized bottle of Stoli.

wayno, you're right again.

aw, shucks, joey baby, it ain't nothin', really...

yfitons
wayno(experience is the best teacher, as usual)

Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

My preference was in the same order as I tasted.

The order in which you tasted them had an effect too, Joe.

Had you tasted them in the opposite order, the results might hve been
different.

Hey! This gives you scientific justification to try them again!

Then you should try 2-1-3. Then 3-1-2.

Research is a very rewarding activity!

vince
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

..... suffice it to say, pricing was damned near meaningless.
Tom

That's been shown to be true in virtually all kinds of consumer goods,
Tom.

vince
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Hey! This gives you scientific justification to try them again!
Then you should try 2-1-3. Then 3-1-2.

You know I'd do anything in the interest of science. There's some truth in
what you say. The Luksosova was so different I'm sure the order would make
no difference; but GG & Stoli were so close I figure I have about a 50-50
chance at telling them apart in reverse order.

Joe F.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

My vodka of choice has always been Ketle One but while in upstate NY at
an ECS field trial, I was talked into trying a Stoli Gold by a friendly
bartender. He put a double shot in a shaker with ice ( shaken, not
stirred g ), poured it and told me to drink it quickly. I tossed
down it down - and lo and behold, it had absolutely no taste. "Smooth"
is an understatement. After that, my friends and I enjoyed *many*
smooth drinks. I had been drinking LaBatt's and I continued,
interspersing bottles with shots. No ill effects (I wasn't driving)
and absolutely no hangover.

Harry
can hardly wait for that trial in the spring