Goa Fishing advice

Old December 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Goa Fishing advice

I am off to Goa end of January 2006 and would like to try some fishing. I
would appreciate if has any information on sea fishing out there. Resort is
going to be Candolim last time I ventured out there I noticed a fella
fishing towards the metal hull of a ship wreck but never see no fish.

Tia
Abu

Old December 31st, 2005, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

If you go to the Baga end you will see a shack called Boscos, it is one of
the bigger shacks. They have their own boats and if you talk to Pedro (very
fat Goan), he will take you out on a fishing trip for a few Rupees. I went
last year and gave them a few of my old rods, Pedro still liked to use a
piece of coconut shell with some old line wrapped around it. When fishing
off the boats you use a minimal amount of lead. The locals only use medium
sized nuts or bolts to hold the bottom, uptiding has yet to reach Goa!
Catches vary and I caught catfish and rock fish, well that is what Pedro
called them. Both these fish have nasty poisonous spines, so caution is
needed. I used king prawn as bait. Beach fishing is also quite good, again
using king prawns and a little squid that they gave me from Bosco's Shack.
You can see the locals using the casting nets, and I ended up buying one for
around £20.00 and that included an hours worth of lessons. Not a bad price
since these nets take around three weeks to make by hand. I will be back at
the shack in February for three weeks. Their rainy season is very good
fishing, and locals say they catch enormous cat fish to around 30lb. Let the
news group know how you get on.

Old January 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Thanks for a detailed reply.
I remeber being on Coco beach and helped the locals bring a net in from the
shore hard work but they had a lot of squid in them.
I went fishing from boat with coco nut shells as a rod we caught quite a few
fish. Unfortunatelly the locals seemed to want to chuck all fish in boat
even thought they where not edible. No conservation in those parts lol.
Looking forward to it. I will try to venture to Bagu if the Kingfisher dont
get to me first! Macha naka soft drink Kingfisher.

Let you all know how I get on..

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Abu
"Michael Musgrave" wrote in
message ...

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Well made it back to the land of rain I never made it to Pedros in Baga. I
stayed in Candolim and managed a few hours fishing off Coco Beach with
Blacky's crew. Well we see Dolphins aplenty but alas the fishing was poor
and for 900 rupees and hour trolling with no rewards tried hand at some
bottom fishing. Unfortunatelly not a lot caught had a puffer fish which
captain decided he wanted to blow up till the poor thing nearly went pop.
Also few ugly spiny things .
I helped some local nets men pull in from beach and they caught mullet and
squid which where hurriedly whisked away to nearby beach shacks. The rod
anglers blamed overfishing with nets a familiar story.
Still had a great time and hope you come back with a bucket load.

Abu

"Michael Musgrave" wrote in
message ...

Old February 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Hi Abu,

thanks for your report. I will be in Goa for three weeks
from 17th Feb. Not much caught in these waters, Went to Dungie the other
week and it was un fishable due to the swell. Better off in the warmer
climates with a Kingfisher and the sun, and a rod if the missus lets me! The
rod will be the first thing that enters my suit case, and the first thing
that is taken out. I take a few rods out every year and end up leaving them
with the locals. Beach fishing comes second to the casting nets. I have got
both, but like my rod better! Where are you from Abu, maybe we can get a few
trips sorted out.

Regards

Michael (Berkshire)

Old February 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

I forgot to mention we went out on a rice boat overnight Johns Boat trips.
There was another angler on board and we see fish jumping in the Chapora
river which was brackish water. Unfortunatelly the capatain did not seem
interested in getting the rod out stating there where too many nets in the
river. It was interesting however seeing all the locals dredging sand from
bottom of river with buckets and 30 foot poles.

The other Angler on board stated he had caught a small sting ray from the
shore. Turtle Beach area North Goa using prawn as bait but also spent a day
fishless.

I suggest you stick with Kinfisher the other beers ie Kings and Bello are
not up to much IMHO and will seriously impede your ability to fish.

Well have a great time. Don't forget to post your findings

"Michael Musgrave" wrote in
message ...