sea fishing in zante greece

Old September 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
alan willavise

Default sea fishing in zante greece

Anyone know about web sites or local fishing around the kalamaki area of
laganas,Holidays next year.thanks alan

Old October 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
alan willavise alan willavise is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan willavise
Anyone know about web sites or local fishing around the kalamaki area of
laganas,Holidays next year.thanks alan
Still had no replies to this message,no-one ever fished around zante area????
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Andy Lawson

"alan willavise" wrote in
message m...

--
alan willavise

I was in Cephalonia (next island up from Zante) for the first two weeks of
October this year and tried my hand at some spinning & fly fishing from the
shore. Apart from a few very small Bass/Sea Bream and a Goby type thing that
was it. However, there are bigger fish around, if you can find 'em!

The locals tend to fish with a chunk of bread with multiple hooks in and on
hand lines and can some times catch larger fish 400/500gms 'ish. Again vary
from Bass/Sea Bream type fish and some Flying Fish, although these are
smaller.

I did try from a small motor boat that I hired for the day and fished the
channel between Cephalonia and Ithaca. Again, no luck apart from a solitary
and very small Sea Bream. The Toby lure was as big as the fish!! The reason
I did try was because a couple of days before, I was talking to one of the
guys working with one of the sailing flotillas out of Fiscardo and he showed
me two Dorado about 3kg each by trolling black & yellow lures behind the
yacht.
I had also seen fish breaking the surface chasing fry (probably after small
Sardines or Anchovy) just outside the harbour which gave me encouragement,
but that was a few days before I hired the boat and of course, nothing was
chasing fry on the day I went out! Typical!

The other problem is, arranged boat fishing for anglers doesn't seem to be
available around that area. So you have to manage yourself by hiring a small
motor boat but without a fish finder, it's very much chuck it and see.

It was still good fun but I hope you have better luck than I did.

Andy Lawson