where are the fish gone to??????

Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Alan Willavise

Default where are the fish gone to??????

I,ve recently fished the st david,s/solva areas of west wales,with not
brilliant results,ie-mackeral,the odd pollack,and of cause wrasse on the
float off the rocks.Some of the locals told me that the fish had gone to
deep water?I also fished barry last week and also ogmore deeps with
friends,and many other anglers with very poor results.We were using
ragworm,squid,mackeral and sandeels.But the fishing was still not like it
should be at this time of year.Is it the very warm weather and bright
sunshine causing it or something more sinister like pollution.I,ve even
heard of bad returns off the boats out in the bristol channel!So guys,some
ideas please.and where are the FISH. Alan newport

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Eric The Viking

It's a bit slow in Dorset at the moment too. Float fished from Chesil
Beach and Portland Bill several times in last few weeks and haven't had
anything - not even mackerel.

Had a few Wrasse on rag fished on the bottom off Portland - but here
I'd be more surprised not to catch a Wrasse ;-)

I blame the French myself.

ETV

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Derek.Moody

In article .com,
Eric The Viking wrote:
It's a bit slow in Dorset at the moment too. Float fished from Chesil
Beach and Portland Bill several times in last few weeks and haven't had
anything - not even mackerel.

Took a friend's daughter's fiancee (We -had- to get away from the wedding
planning committee's dress, hats, cakes and bouquet comparison session,) for
two hours last night (Then he was summoned back - he has a lot to learn
about marriage methinks; like, turn off the mobile when the fish are
running.)

There were loads of people on the Chesil but none of them seemed to be
catching anything. I set him up with a float and used the fly myself. it
was a bit slow at first but we took home about 6lb of mackerel and gar and
put back several pollock and scad plus one fish that he returned because he
didn't recognise it but it wasn't one of the above. He described it as
silvery and spiky so it was probably a schoolie. I know I landed ten fish
in all and pulled out of a few. I guess he had a similar number.

It took a few experiments to sort out what the fish would take but once I
had a mackerel we opened it to see what they were feeding on. Fry about an
inch and a half long. The successful fly was dressed on a #8 longshank hook
and he used a #6 with narrow strips of bait about an inch long. They
wouldn't touch a floatfished bait unless it was pulled slowly through the
water about three feet down.

Had a few Wrasse on rag fished on the bottom off Portland - but here
I'd be more surprised not to catch a Wrasse ;-)

We didn't get any wrasse ;-)

Cheerio,

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , ali-p
wrote:
I just have toi tell someone....today I caught my first bass of the year in
the Firth of Clyde just off Dunure .... yipeeeee )

Go on, do it again ;-)

umpteen mackeral (most of which went back in the oggin so as to catch them
again on wednesday) and a coupla pollack but...............

You do realise that mackerel almost always die if returned? One of the few
fish it really isn't worth returning. Get a smoker...

Cheerio,

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:38 AM
ali-p

I just have toi tell someone....today I caught my first bass of the year in
the Firth of Clyde just off Dunure .... yipeeeee )
umpteen mackeral (most of which went back in the oggin so as to catch them
again on wednesday) and a coupla pollack but...............
yipeeeee...............(again)................ a Bass

tight lines

ali-p

news

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
PeeWee

Fishing here in the North West has slowed right down, the smoothhounds
around the Mersey will be back as soon as the next crab moult happens, some
small bass at Hall Road Crosby and a few small flounder.
Big shoal of Bass around Colwyn Bay but the netters are the one's bringing
them in
Also plenty of Mullet in the Mersey just on the turn of the tide,but, alas
they are tricky buggers to catch.
Even the eels are not as plentiful as in past years.
Derek, you mentioned a smoker, been after one for quite a while now, any
recommendations?

Pete

(remove THEHOOK to reply via e-mail)

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , PeeWee
wrote:

Also plenty of Mullet in the Mersey just on the turn of the tide,but, alas
they are tricky buggers to catch.

But great fun.

Derek, you mentioned a smoker, been after one for quite a while now, any
recommendations?

TBH the best ones are generally home made. There are some small portable
hot smokers that you can take to the beach and use to make a snack on the
spot (Not really smoking as usually done. Just cooking in smoke, which is
different.) For medium quantities a barbecue with a lid is as good as
anything. If you just want enough for one meal you can get by with a lidded
wok on the stove at a pinch as long as you keep the kitchen window open.

All you need is a gentle heat source toasting hardwood chips (NO softwood,
trust me.) and a grid to keep the fish off the direct heat. The lid is not
strictly necessary but without it you'll waste an awful lot of smoke.

The really important part of the process is the brining - get that right and
you are unlikely to go wrong. Fillet your fish into brine asap. We've even
gone so far as to prepare a bucket of brine on the boat and fillet the fish
into it as they're caught. You only need half the salt that way as you mix
with seawater too. Brine strength is right if it'll float an egg. The
fillets should come out of the brine smaller than they went in.

After half an hour or so brining depending on the recipie and the size of
the fillets you -must- dry them, Air dry them so the surface glazes and
then just stick them in hardwood smoke to taste.

Once the fish is brined you have loads of time in hand, it won't deteriorate
unless you are careless. You can leave the smoking for a couple of days if
you like.

Cold smoking is a bit trickier but you can start with the same brine.

A starter brine recipie - adjust to suit, everyone has their own secret
variation:

Equal parts cooking salt and dark brown sugar. Add plenty of black pepper
and (optional) I always smash a clove of garlic into it. Bag this, it'll
keep forever.
Put as much seawater (use extra salt if using freshwater) as required in
bucket and stir in mixture until aforementioned egg floats.
Add secret ingredients ;-)

You can put several batches through the same brine so if you are doing a lot
of fish check the strength of the brine every now and then and add more mix
if needed.

Cheerio,

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Keith M