Jon boat tracking

Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

Default Jon boat tracking

I fish out of a 12 foot jon boat with the trolling motor mounted on
the bow. Gasoline motors are not allowed on the lake where I fish
most of the time. With my fat butt sitting in the front of the boat,
it just doesn't want to go in a straight line. As soon as I turn off
the trolling motor the rear end wants to come around.

Would installing a permanent rudder of some sort help its tracking?

Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

I know little about such things, but I wonder if you ever tried adding
weight in the stern, like an old battery or a five-gallon container of
water. Maybe a john boat needs to be trimmed properly like a canoe?

ups.com...

Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Donn Senn

On 22 Feb 2007 11:05:41 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

I fish out of a 12 foot jon boat with the trolling motor mounted on
the bow. Gasoline motors are not allowed on the lake where I fish
most of the time. With my fat butt sitting in the front of the boat,
it just doesn't want to go in a straight line. As soon as I turn off
the trolling motor the rear end wants to come around.

Would installing a permanent rudder of some sort help its tracking?

Try dragging a few feet of chain on a piece rope. Size as needed.

Donn
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

On Feb 22, 5:00 pm, "Marty" wrote:
I know little about such things, but I wonder if you ever tried adding
weight in the stern, like an old battery or a five-gallon container of
water. Maybe a john boat needs to be trimmed properly like a canoe?

I put the trolling motor battery in the back and hung the anchor off
the back.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Donn Senn" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2007 11:05:41 -0800, "Olebiker" wrote:

I fish out of a 12 foot jon boat with the trolling motor mounted on
the bow. Gasoline motors are not allowed on the lake where I fish
most of the time. With my fat butt sitting in the front of the boat,
it just doesn't want to go in a straight line. As soon as I turn off
the trolling motor the rear end wants to come around.

Would installing a permanent rudder of some sort help its tracking?

Try dragging a few feet of chain on a piece rope. Size as needed.

Donn

I have heard of that for bigger boats too.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
bill allemann

with a boat that small, you will have to sit further back.
To do that, you probably will need to get a troller with electric foot
controls instead of cables.

bill

ups.com...

Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

Yes, it definitely would help. And here's the cheapest way I know to build a
really fine rudder:

1. Find a defunct trolling motor (ask around... not too hard to locate) and
an old, aluminum canoe paddle.
2. Hacksaw the trolling motor shaft apart just above the motor housing.
3. Also, cut the aluminum & plastic canoe paddle shaft a foot or two above
the blade.
4. The canoe paddle shaft ID will probably be slightly larger than the
trolling motor OD, so the one slips inside the other.
5. Align the paddle blade, drill holes, and bolt them together.
6. Clamp your rudder on the stern of your jon boat, and after you launch
just pivot it down and clamp it in place. This provides a keel for the boat
so if you're using your trolling motor in the front, the rear won't swing
around so wildly.

If you don't have an aluminum canoe paddle, use a wooden one and just shave
the shaft down to fit inside the trolling motor tube.

Joe
Secret Weapon Lures...
World's Finest Spinnerbaits & Buzzbaits.
Better designs = better performance = better results
ups.com...