Softex

Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:10 PM
John Lindsey

Default Softex

Once upon a time I asked John K. Softex's owner, what to use to thin Softex.
He said nothing - just buy another jar LOL!

I used toluene and it worked just fine!
Good luck.
John

PS stir it in slowly - shaking introduces bubbles that do not all dissipate.

"Hooked" wrote in message
I am tying up some Mickey Finns using a braided mylar material that is
falling apart pretty easy. I've decided to coat the mylar in Softex to

keep
the fishes teeth from fraying it. The only problem I'm running into is

that
the Softex is not spreading around the hook very easy. The consistency is
not too thick (as compared to what it was like new) but it doesn't spread
too easy. Anybody have any ideas to make this a little easier?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Mike Connor

SNIP
After checking out the page you posted the URL to, I think I'll try the
alcohol. I don't need any more chemicals laying around the house. At least
not something as bad as that stuff.

And thanks for all the follow up tips too.

The hazard sheets may appear similar, but I would rather smell or drink
alcohol than Toluene anyday!

The acrylic sealant ( caulking) is really very good, and you can use
ordinary lacquer thinners, or mineral spirits to thin it at will.

Nowadays tying benches are full of chemicals. Some of them quite dangerous.
It pays to be careful.

My pleasure, I hope the tips help you and others.

TL
MC

Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Big Dale

Charlie wrote:So the toluene is not much worse than the isopropyl-alcohol.
Hmmmm...

Sure, ask any glue sniffer - if you can find one that can still talk.
--
Charlie...

I love the smell of toluene in the morning.

Big Dale
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Sierra fisher

John was at our last conclave in Tahoe; he recommended that you buy two
jars, and leave the lid of one off for awhile to thicken. Then you could
use the thick stuff for bodies, etc and the thin for glueing. It's great
stuff for working with lines, such as making braided leader loops. At least
he was selling it at a wholesale price at the conclave

"Hooked" wrote in message
I am tying up some Mickey Finns using a braided mylar material that is
falling apart pretty easy. I've decided to coat the mylar in Softex to

keep
the fishes teeth from fraying it. The only problem I'm running into is

that
the Softex is not spreading around the hook very easy. The consistency

is
not too thick (as compared to what it was like new) but it doesn't

spread
too easy. Anybody have any ideas to make this a little easier?

---

Old February 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Larry and a cat named Dub

Coat the out side threads of the bottle with vasoline this should help
"Hooked" wrote in message
"Willi" wrote in message

I gave bad informatiom - wrong product. The stuff I use is Clear Hard
Head by Loon. It is an alcohol based product. It dries hard like epoxy
but is much easier to work with.

I started tying a bass/pike sized (size 2) Mickey Finn this morning. I
coated that with Loons Hard Head. After heating the bottle cap to get it
off, and thinning it with alcohol anyway.

I wonder how Dave's Flexament might work?

Old February 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Larry and a cat named Dub

FWIW I have been told the devcon brand 5 minute epoxy don't yellow like the
others just this week in a tying class
"Hooked" wrote in message
"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Mike Connor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Tie the bodies up first, dip them in thinned softex, ( you can thin it

down
with alcohol), let dry, and then complete the flies as normal.

Softex wont keep them from being frayed for long though. If you want

them
really robust, use epoxy. Get the bodies finished, paint a thin coat

of
the
epoxy on, when dry, complete as usual. This makes them almost
indestructible. If you are just applying a thin protective coat, then

you
won´t get much "running" or sagging. Just stick them in a piece of

foam
dry.

If you use minimum 20 minute epoxy, and warm both components up

before
mixing, ( wram water bath)then you can apply the resulting thin

mixture
just
like varnish. Try an experiment with a small amount of epoxy first.

Warming
the components accelerates the set-up time very considerably. If the

twenty
minute stuff is too fast, use 2 or 6 hour epoxy.

If the epoxy is too much mess on, then use "Hard as Nails" nail

lacquer
with the nylon additive. This will still give a lot more protection

than
Softex. If you are very careful, you can apply this to the finished

flies,
just paint it on. Although I would still advise doing the bodies

separately.

TL
MC

A couple of things I forgot;

Softex will dull down the mylar quite a bit, and may also dissolve it.

The epoxy will also dull down the mylar somewhat, and may also yellow in
time. This is not usually a major problem, and may even enhance the fly,

as
even a thin coat seems to add "depth" to the structure.

The "Hard as Nails" will also attack plastic, but as it is quickly

applied,
and also quick drying, it does not normally have such a bad effect. I

have
not had it turn yellow either.

TL
MC

What I am trying to do is protect the mylar and at the same time build up
the body some. I want to give it a clear overcoat that might help
deflect/refract the light a little. As far as the Softex not protecting

the
body, I think it will do ok. I just don't want them falling apart after

the
first fish. I'd use epoxy, but I think the Softex will give them a softer
feel. When I get around to doing up some pike size MFinns, I'll probably

use
the epoxy. Although using the craft fur for a wing may not stand up top a
pike.

I guess the use of alcohol for a thinner would be the answer to my

problems.
I just did up another one and applied it in a thicker coat without

thinning.
The last time the body material seemed to absorb the first coat. I'll see
how this one comes out and then try thinning the stuff a bit.

How much alcohol would you suggest to use? I have about 2/3 of a 100ml jar
left.