Steele head and salmon Pattrens?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
Jeffrey Brewer

Default Steele head and salmon Pattrens?

I'm new to steelhead fishing .I got hooked last spring. I fish mainly in the
Cleveland Oh.area rivers.Any experienced steeleheaders have any consistant
patterns?Any technique tips would be greatly appreciated. Last spring I
fished twenty five yards downstream of a fellow who caught and released 13
nice fish while I never hooked up. I know that this happens but I want to
be the guy releaseing fish and I know that I'm out of my league.
Thanks
Jeff

Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:43 AM
Hooked

"Jeffrey Brewer" wrote in message
I'm new to steelhead fishing .I got hooked last spring. I fish mainly in

the
Cleveland Oh.area rivers.Any experienced steeleheaders have any consistant
patterns?Any technique tips would be greatly appreciated. Last spring I
fished twenty five yards downstream of a fellow who caught and released 13
nice fish while I never hooked up. I know that this happens but I want to
be the guy releaseing fish and I know that I'm out of my league.
Thanks
Jeff

Depends on the types of rivers you'll be fishing, but I would suggest
swinging a spey fly. You can get an idea for tying them he
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...dee/index.html or
do a search for spey flies on Google and find plenty of info.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Willi

Jeffrey Brewer wrote:

I'm new to steelhead fishing .I got hooked last spring. I fish mainly in the
Cleveland Oh.area rivers.Any experienced steeleheaders have any consistant
patterns?Any technique tips would be greatly appreciated. Last spring I
fished twenty five yards downstream of a fellow who caught and released 13
nice fish while I never hooked up. I know that this happens but I want to
be the guy releaseing fish and I know that I'm out of my league.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

I can't help you with any patterns, I never fished for Salmon or
Steelhead, but I doubt that the reason was that he had the "magic" fly.
I'm pretty sure that the type of water that he fished and the techniques
that he used to cover the water were the answer. (My first guess is that
you weren't getting your fly deep enough) My advice, next time you run
into a situation like that, stop fishing, get out of the water and watch
the guy. Try to figure out what he's doing differently. If he seems
friendly, ask him for some advice.

Willi

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
Sierra fisher

here is a good place to start. It is for steelhead in the Great lakes area
http://www.steelheadsite.com/

I had problems pulling up patterns on their site this evening but hopefully
the problem is temporary

there are hundreds of sites for patterns. just start searching. Many are
associated with fly shops. Some with magazines

"Jeffrey Brewer" wrote in message
I'm new to steelhead fishing .I got hooked last spring. I fish mainly in

the
Cleveland Oh.area rivers.Any experienced steeleheaders have any consistant
patterns?Any technique tips would be greatly appreciated. Last spring I
fished twenty five yards downstream of a fellow who caught and released 13
nice fish while I never hooked up. I know that this happens but I want to
be the guy releaseing fish and I know that I'm out of my league.
Thanks
Jeff

---

Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
rb608

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
here is a good place to start. It is for steelhead in the Great lakes

area
http://www.steelheadsite.com/

Another great site is:
http://www.danica.com/flytier/

Joe F.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Scott Seidman

"Jeffrey Brewer" wrote in
:

I'm new to steelhead fishing .I got hooked last spring. I fish mainly
in the Cleveland Oh.area rivers.Any experienced steeleheaders have any
consistant patterns?Any technique tips would be greatly appreciated.
Last spring I fished twenty five yards downstream of a fellow who
caught and released 13 nice fish while I never hooked up. I know that
this happens but I want to be the guy releaseing fish and I know that
I'm out of my league. Thanks
Jeff

Globug, globugs, and more globugs, at least to start up. Try
www.theflybench.com for more pattern

Also, pick up Rick Kustich's books on fishing the Great Lakes Tribs

Scott
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Hooked

"rb608" wrote in message

Another great site is:
http://www.danica.com/flytier/

How do you get that site into a favorites folder? Every time I try right
clicking on the page, it gives me a warning about copyrighted material.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
rb608

"Hooked" wrote in message
How do you get that site into a favorites folder? Every time I try right
clicking on the page, it gives me a warning about copyrighted material.

Hmmm. If the usual way doesn't work, I don't know. I just looked it up
because I remembered enough of it to find it in response to the question.
I'm pretty sure I had it bookmarked once before though.

Joe F.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Hooked

"rb608" wrote in message

Hmmm. If the usual way doesn't work, I don't know. I just looked it up
because I remembered enough of it to find it in response to the question.
I'm pretty sure I had it bookmarked once before though.

Ok. I just remembered that I have it too. Just not the exact page you gave.
I have: http://www.danica.com/flytier/patternindex.htm which I can click on
"Back to Main Page" to go to the one you listed. But this page will allow
right clicking and adding to favorites.

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:15 AM
rainbow chaser

I'm not sure about Ohio waters but here in West Michigan I like stonefly
nymphs fished dead drift upstream just like you would for trout if the water
is clear and shallow enoughto get them down to the fish. I see someone
allready reconmended the steelhead site. lots of info there. tight lines
"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Jeffrey Brewer" wrote in
: