Hooks in general

Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
vincent p. norris

Default Hooks in general

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
wrote:

this is a part time venture for this guy so don't give up. He has always
treated me right, though not always promptly

I sent him emails on January 25 and again on February 1. Three weeks
have passed. No answer. What do you make of that?

vince
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:45 AM
Sierra fisher

Cabelas has some Japanese hooks that they market under their own name. As
long as you buy 50 or more of each size/style, they are generally about $10
per hundred. I have been happly with them except for one batch of size 12
dry fly hooks. I've had a few of these straighten out. No problems with
anything else.

There is a consitent rumor that nearly all Jaanese hooks are made by the
same people. Targus claims that they are different. If they are, it
doesn't help their price much. they re about $14 per hundred.

"just al" wrote in message
I tie for myslef but learned on Dai Riki and Tiempco. I've been teaching
locals at a nearby tackle shop and the shop wants to carry materials.

After
working for a high end shop in Montana, I can't suggest economy hooks. It
seems that most recipes call for mustad. Tiempco and Dai Riki are far too
expensive for the locals here.

What do you think about Eagle Claw? Other suggestions of quality brand
materials or wholesalers would be appreciated. The guys that I help out
(not work for) need to start slowly.

Thanks!

Al

---

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Sierra fisher

I just noticed that The Fish Guy updated his site on jan 28, 2004, 3 days
after you emailed him the first time.

news

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Willi

Sierra fisher wrote:

Cabelas has some Japanese hooks that they market under their own name. As
long as you buy 50 or more of each size/style, they are generally about $10
per hundred. I have been happly with them except for one batch of size 12
dry fly hooks. I've had a few of these straighten out. No problems with
anything else.

There is a consitent rumor that nearly all Jaanese hooks are made by the
same people. Targus claims that they are different. If they are, it
doesn't help their price much. they re about $14 per hundred.

I've heard that rumor too. But if it is true, that factory makes a
number of grades of hooks. Not all Japanese hooks are the same.

Willi

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:54 AM
Willi

Sierra fisher wrote:

I just noticed that The Fish Guy updated his site on jan 28, 2004, 3 days
after you emailed him the first time.

Still not a good excuse for not answering emails. That's an important
part of running an online shop. Personally, I wouldn't deal with an
online vendor that doesn't return emails.

PS I have dealt with him in the past with no problems.

Willi