Fish that break the rules

Old July 9th, 2004, 03:36 AM
RichZ

Default Fish that break the rules

Way back in April, in 46 degree water, I caught a 7-14 on a tiny (2.5"),
smoke, Lunker City grub on a 1/8 ounce jig head, just nudging it around a
rock pile at the base of a drop off in 18 feet of water. The color was
smoke. Small, slow, low-viz. Not exactly the kind of stuff most bass
fishermen would throw for big fish.

The drop-off this fish came from might just be the single best spot in the
lake. It gets fished pretty hard, and it turns out a lot of big fish. It's
a big fish spot, and most of the guys who fish it fish it with big lures.
After all, big lures catch big fish, don't they?

I got a big fish off an isolated boulder in 18 feet of water a couple
hundred feet south of that rock pile on 4th of July. I got it drop shotting
an insignificant little 3", smoke Reaper. This fish wasn't quite as heavy
as that last pig, but it was still over 7 pounds. I thought it was
interesting that my two biggest fish of the year from a lake where big
baits usually rule, had come on the tiniest of offerings.

It wasn't until the next day, when I printed out a photo of the fish and
hung it on my office wall, next to the other one, that it jumped at me. The
same split anal fin. Identical markings along the flank. Even the same
irregularity in the scale pattern on the side of the belly. A bit skinnier,
to be sure, but there was no doubt it was that same fish. Lighter by the
load of eggs and extra fat it had been carrying prior to the spawn, but
already starting to put some weight back on, despite its exhibited
preference for small meals.

It's certainly not the first time I've caught the same fish over again, or
the first time I've recaught a fish very close to where I'd caught it
before. But what strikes me most about this fish is that both times I
caught it, it had ample opportunity to hit a "full size" meal before it
succumbed to a presentation that very few bass fishermen would bother
employing in this lake, because neither is a "big fish" technique.

This particular fish doesn't seem to share the same behavior traits that
MOST bass do. If it did, it would have been eating crawfish and yellow
perch along the edge of the vegetation in 10 to 12 feet of water. Its
unusual forage size preference and possible preference for deeper water may
insulate it from the efforts of most bass fishermen. The question is, how
many more big ones are there not getting caught because they don't follow
what we accept as the big fish rule book?

I believe that every significant fish we catch has something to teach us,
and this fish is no exception. It's telling us that sometimes, the way to
the big might just be to separate ourselves from the crowd, and fish with
techniques that MOST of the fish tell us are wrong. Or at least that not
all big fish get that way eating big meals.

There's a composite of the two photos at
http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/samefish.jpg for those interested in
comparing them.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM
RichG

Hmmm. RichZ...You have far, far, more experience than I catching big bass.
Your comment strikes a note of clarity.

A few weeks ago, I had one day where I caught seven bass. Five were 4 / 5
/ 5 / 5-1/2 and one 6...ALL on the same tiny, little, smallest size Pop-R.
Since then, I've fished the same spot over a number of times. I switched to
a larger Pop-R, and tried numerous other baits. None caught as many BIG fish
as that small Pop-R did that day. My best catch since that earlier
experience was a 4 3/4 lbr. I've caught a LOT ( 6 in an hour a few
evenings ago) of additional bass from the same stretch of water, but I
haven't had the success in LARGE fish as I did with the little lure, on that
one day.

My largest Northern Pike to date, just a few days after the first bass
experience, was taken on the smallest sized One-Minus lure!

I have friend in Houston who fishes the bays with me. He will ONLY use a two
inch long split tail grub. He catches a lot of decent fish on that tiny
offering.

You may be on to something here. I'm going to try, again, the smallish
Pop-R at the next opportunity. The fish are there, waiting.

RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Bob Rickard

Some of my very largest spinnerfbait fish have come on smaller spinnerbaits,
but few anglers actually own and use them. My favorite size in our new
series are the 3/16 oz. models, which are effectively crosses between 1/8
oz. & 1/4 oz. sizes. To me, that size really kicks butt!

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

. ..

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
alwaysfishking

I was shocked to see 2 and 3 pound bass eating the git zits we were
throwing. But after seeing Dave in a dress nothing shocks me anymore
"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. ..
Some of my very largest spinnerfbait fish have come on smaller

spinnerbaits,
but few anglers actually own and use them. My favorite size in our new
series are the 3/16 oz. models, which are effectively crosses between 1/8
oz. & 1/4 oz. sizes. To me, that size really kicks butt!

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)
www.secretweaponlures.com
--------------------------=x O')))

. ..

/

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Huck Palmatier

....I've heard (but don't practice) that several smaller meals during the day
is better for the system than one or two big meals....after a large meal,
the creature may become lethargic due to increased digestive activity and
subject to predation itself.....when I used to keep small bass & pickerel in
tanks at home I often observed this behavior.....after eating alot, the fish
would retreat to a seculed spot and remain there sometimes for a day or
two.....so my hypothesis is that larger fish get to be larger fish
because they're not slowed down as the glutonous ones might be.
said Huck

Old July 9th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Kevin Hare

I'm kind of partial to the 3/16 oz size myself Bob!!!!!!! They work
very well on Boom Lake!

Heavy

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message ...
Some of my very largest spinnerfbait fish have come on smaller spinnerbaits,
but few anglers actually own and use them. My favorite size in our new
series are the 3/16 oz. models, which are effectively crosses between 1/8
oz. & 1/4 oz. sizes. To me, that size really kicks butt!

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)
www.secretweaponlures.com