Bivvy hydrostatic head

Old September 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM
Richard

Default Bivvy hydrostatic head

In specs for bivvys they quote a hydrostatic head, for example 3,500mm or
5,000mm. Can someone please explain what this means.

Cheers ....... Richard

---

Old September 21st, 2003, 08:44 PM
Baal

http://www.awta.com.au/Textiles/Publ...s/pdf/T29B.pdf

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

"Richard" wrote in message
In specs for bivvys they quote a hydrostatic head, for example 3,500mm or
5,000mm. Can someone please explain what this means.

Cheers ....... Richard

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 21st, 2003, 08:50 PM
Baal

Waterproofness can be a very subjective term with words like showerproof and
water resistant sometimes being used . The term hydrostatic head is used to
denote the amount of pressure of water that is required in order to
penetrate a given fabric. In order to measure the amount of this pressure a
column of water is pressed against the fabric and the height of the column
is increased until the water penetrates the fabric. The British Ministry of
Defence definition for a waterproof fabric is that it must resist a column
of water at least eighty centimetres high. Every batch of fabric that is
coated for HORESWARE is tested and must resist a column of water at least a
hundred and fifty centimetres, that is five feet high. And this is the
minimum acceptable standard. Normally most of our fabrics have hydrostatic
head of at least 300 centimetres and so that after years of use it should
still maintain hydrostatic head of at least 100 centimetres plus.

http://www.horseware.com/faq.asp?FAQ=5

Not being a clever dick. I sound it on a google search. That should
satisfy your curiosity.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:35 AM
Richard

"Baal" wrote in message
Waterproofness can be .... snip

Not being a clever dick. I sound it on a google search. That should
satisfy your curiosity.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

It has, another mystery solved .... thanks ..... Richard

---

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Chris Gibson

Or put more practically if not more formally correct, it measures how hard
it would have to rain on your bivvy before water started going through the
cover.

If it rained hard enough to pass through sheeting rated at 3500mm
hydrostatic pressure, I would leave my bivvy and other fishing gear behind
and take up a crash course in ark building.