Snowshoe Hare

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Stephen Welsh

Default Snowshoe Hare

The Spirit River guy here in Aus. has deliverd unto me three of said
feet. I perused the recent(ish) thread/s where Tom/Willi described using
a coffee grinder. To summarise for:

Smaller flys (16 - .) blend, tie in clump and trim to shape.
Larger flys (14 - Beyond) tie in a clump (not necessarily blended) and
leave.

Is that about right?

Frank Reid was looking for some dyed stuff, I came across this WMBOI:
http://haresfeet.50megs.com/snowshoefeet.htm

Steve
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Tom Littleton

Stephen Welsh asks:
Smaller flys (16 - .) blend, tie in clump and trim to shape.
Larger flys (14 - Beyond) tie in a clump (not necessarily blended) and
leave.

Is that about right?

Two minor details. First, for larger flies, feel free to trim, should you wish
a neater effect. I have no clue whether the fish care.
Second, for smaller flies, a couple extra procedures to play with: a) Bind a
sparser clump across hook shank, bind down with a couple cross wraps like a
spinner wing.
Pull both sides upward and take no more than two wraps parachute-wise around
base of clump.Gives the neatest fan-wing on small flies, with no bulky tie-down
point behind wing. b) for Downwings, take a sparser clump of unblended hair,
bind down with tips to rear with a couple wraps of thread, then, pull back
butts of hair which point forward. Pull them back in two parts, one clump to
either side of tip hairs, bind down with a couple more wraps to form a nice
down wing, clip at end of wing to shape.
Now, practice away, and fish with the flies.
You will enjoy the ease with which they stay functional, fish after fish.
Tom
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Willi

Tom Littleton wrote:

Second, for smaller flies, a couple extra procedures to play with: a) Bind a
sparser clump across hook shank, bind down with a couple cross wraps like a
spinner wing.
Pull both sides upward and take no more than two wraps parachute-wise around
base of clump.Gives the neatest fan-wing on small flies, with no bulky tie-down
point behind wing.

Thanks for that Tom. I was tying the small ones just like the large and
didn't like the bulk at the tie down spot.

Willi

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Stephen Welsh

(Tom Littleton) wrote in
:

[...]

Excellent tips Tom, thanks! Tried them last evening to great effect.
I may have to wait till spring to fish the caddis: midges might
prove handy very soon even though, to date, the fish have generally been
hanging deep on pupa.

The snowshoe is an interesting material, excellent for smaller bugs, the
underfur makes a nice (somewhat coarse) translucent dubbing as well.

As you say, and best of all, trimming doesn't detract from the
appearance. This'll replace deer hair in some of my (especially smaller)
drys for sure.

Steve

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Stan Gula

"Stephen Welsh" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Excellent tips Tom, thanks! Tried them last evening to great effect.
I may have to wait till spring to fish the caddis: midges might
prove handy very soon even though, to date, the fish have generally been
hanging deep on pupa.

The snowshoe is an interesting material, excellent for smaller bugs, the
underfur makes a nice (somewhat coarse) translucent dubbing as well.

Yes indeed. The body of The Usual is underfur dubbed over red (or orange)
thread. It shows through nicely when wet.

A couple of examples from the 2000 fly swap:
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...ge=FS2002&id=3
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=22
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...ge=FS2002&id=8
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=28
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=39

Old May 8th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Big Dale

steve wrote:snipI may have to wait till spring to fish the caddis:

spring is scheduled to be over next week around here.

Big Dale
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Salmo Bytes

FWIW:

Hunting snowshoe rabbits with a 22 rifle (for those of us lucky
enough to live in the Rocky Mountains) is a blast. You can chase these guys
all winter long. You have to wear snowshoes yourself, as they all
seem to live at high altitude, in or near spruce forests.

It's best to chase them after a light snow...when all the tracks you
see can be assumed to be fresh. They're like great big cottontails:
pretty tasty little critters.
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Stephen Welsh

"Stan Gula" wrote in news:txUmc.17551$vz5.10342
@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...ge=FS2002&id=3
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=22
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...ge=FS2002&id=8
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=28
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...e=FS2002&id=39

Looking at various pics also reminded me of the other thing
about the fur - the subtle sheen of the natural material.

I suspect the Usual (classic) would be to dries as the
Hare's Ear is to nymphs.

Steve