Bayou Redfish

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Bayou Redfish

Well, against rdean's advice, but thanks anyway r, I've hired
a guide to take me and my wife kayaking in the bayou. I'm gonna
fish for redfish and she is along for the paddle. This is a
guided fishing trip, not just sightseeing, so I assume the guide
will put me in the vicinity of fish.

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:14:53 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

How
about flies ?

Spoon flies work well, but they're awkward to cast. Wear a hat.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Well, against rdean's advice, but thanks anyway r, I've hired
a guide to take me and my wife kayaking in the bayou. I'm gonna
fish for redfish and she is along for the paddle. This is a
guided fishing trip, not just sightseeing, so I assume the guide
will put me in the vicinity of fish.

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Big (3/0 - 5/0) Clousers, Assassins/Mickey Finns, Lefty's Deceivers,
etc. on a floater if you are going to _flyfish_ - IOW, you aren't
interested in using a fly rod as quasi-casting rod. And I didn't advice
against the fishing, only wasting money on a guide. And putting someone
on fish this time of the year, assuming the weather is cooperating _at
all_, is little more than saying, "Yo, boy, y'all see that there
water..."

TC,
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Mar 28, 3:14*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading. IMO,
Clousers and decievers are fine for searching casts or casting to
cruising fish. But my limited experience is that crab and shrimp
patterns work better on tailing fish which is the "classic" way of
locating and casting to them.
A quick google turned up this link for what its worth:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-s...er-redfish.htm

For the most part floating lines are just fine but I always carry an
intermediate and fast sink polyleader just in case.

Good luck and have fun. I can send you a couple of crab/shrimp
patterns to play with if you'd like.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Wayne
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Charlie Choc wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
How
about flies ?

Spoon flies work well, but they're awkward to cast. Wear a hat.

Thanks Charlie. Those things do like look they're anything but
aerodynamic.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, you advised against the guide.
It's good to hear Jazz Fest is also a good time to fish, it'll
be nice to get out of the city for a little bit.

When you know what your schedule is gonna look like let me know,
I'd still be up for either the Gulf deep sea thing or the bluegill
thing or both. The only constraint on my vacation time is Jazz Fest.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Wayne.

Yeah, a 9wt sounds like overkill for 10 to 12 pound fish but my
7wt is a 10' two piece (would be great in the kayak but a bitch
on the train to Nawlins), I have no 8wt but I do already have a
couple of 9wts. And that's what the guide recommends so what the
hell.

I'd be more than happy to pick up a Jazz Fest poster for you but
you can get one yourself (and fill in the blanks in your collection)
he http://www.art4now.com/store/index.asp

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading.

I already tried that, Wayne, but hey, when you're getting advice from a
guide who knows where redfish are in S. Louisiana, advice from folks who
live or have lived there with lots of fishing experience just sorta come
in a distant second...

IMO,
Clousers and decievers are fine for searching casts or casting to
cruising fish. But my limited experience is that crab and shrimp
patterns work better on tailing fish which is the "classic" way of
locating and casting to them.

Shrimp and crab are decent "specific purpose" patterns. FWIW and IMO,
though, the "bait fish" types are adequate to great all-around, whereas
the shrimp/crab types are more limited. IOW, if you're gonna travel
"heavy," by all means take both types, but if you're gonna travel
"light," a couple of each, Deceivers, Assassins/Mickeys, and Clousers
are the ticket. Remember, these aren't 16s, 18s, 22s, these are
3/0-5/0s. And take at least 2 of each - 1 for you, one for any possible
oyster beds, etc.

A quick google turned up this link for what its worth:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-s...er-redfish.htm

For the most part floating lines are just fine but I always carry an
intermediate and fast sink polyleader just in case.

Gear whore. Seriously, reasonable advice. I guess I'm more of the "a
travel light" kinda guy on jaunts like this - you know, a couple of
flies, 1 (ONE!) rod, reel, spool, vest, boat, vehicle, generator, TV,
cell phone, GPS, camera, etc....leaves more room for gin, tonic, and
ice...

Good luck and have fun. I can send you a couple of crab/shrimp
patterns to play with if you'd like.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Oh, man, this has become its own, er, funkin' industry, both legit and
otherwise. An official poster, unsigned, isn't cheap, and a signed one
is REALLY ridiculous (IIRC, they were fetching over $800.00 last year,
unframed). Then there's all the quasi-official ones. I'd suggest
determining _exactly_ what you want and letting Ken and Kristine have a
website/.jpg/something to see so they know exactly what you want. And
as an aside, depending on which ones you have (such as a signed
Rodrigue, etc.), you might wish to check into values and determine if
you need insurance (seriously).

TC,

Wayne

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 28, 4:19*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Charlie Choc wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
How
about flies ?

Spoon flies work well, but they're awkward to cast. Wear a hat.

Thanks Charlie. Those things do like look they're anything but
aerodynamic.

--
Ken Fortenberry

These look interesting. Ever heard of using them on trout?

Halfordian Golfer
http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:40:32 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

I'd be more than happy to pick up a Jazz Fest poster for you but
you can get one yourself (and fill in the blanks in your collection)
he http://www.art4now.com/store/index.asp

Trust me on this one, guys - this (mail order, not necessarily this
site, and FWIW, there are a lot of fakes floating around, esp. on places
like Craigslist - get it from an official source) is by far and away the
best way to do it.

TC,