Annual Derby Failures.....

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Annual Derby Failures.....

.....I'll stop calling them "picks", as a quick check revealed
that I have been able to pick one winner in the past 7 years. Derby finish:
1. Barbaro
2. Sweetnorthernsaint
3. Bluegrass Cat(longshot)

now, to pour a bit of Maker's Mark and start the barbeque.....It's Derby
Day!
Tom

Old May 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tom Littleton wrote:
....I'll stop calling them "picks", as a quick check revealed
that I have been able to pick one winner in the past 7 years. Derby finish:
1. Barbaro

Make that 2 for 8. I hope you had your money down.

What an interesting race. I've never seen that many horses
so close together rounding the stretch turn.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
m...
Tom Littleton wrote:
....I'll stop calling them "picks", as a quick check revealed
that I have been able to pick one winner in the past 7 years. Derby

finish:
1. Barbaro

Make that 2 for 8. I hope you had your money down.

What an interesting race. I've never seen that many horses
so close together rounding the stretch turn.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Nice race, really nice ride.........the win ticket was nice, but the exacta
was real nice. Steaks for all at the Penn's Clave might be an idea.......
Tom
p.s. The kid riding the second-place Bluegrass Cat is the
best rider on the planet. He improved that horse by
around 10 lengths over anything previous.

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tom Littleton wrote:
....I'll stop calling them "picks", as a quick check revealed
that I have been able to pick one winner in the past 7 years. Derby

finish:
1. Barbaro

Make that 2 for 8. I hope you had your money down.

What an interesting race. I've never seen that many horses
so close together rounding the stretch turn.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Nice race, really nice ride

well, i hope i won't be made out to be a fool, but i suggest that i
haven't seen a horse that good since (god help me) big red came down the
stretch in the belmont, in the greatest display of strength in recorded
history.

in short, i think this may be the next great horse. would someone
(tlitt, others...) sign on with an opinion?

yfitons
wayno

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
Tom Littleton wrote:
....I'll stop calling them "picks", as a quick check revealed
that I have been able to pick one winner in the past 7 years. Derby

finish:
1. Barbaro
Make that 2 for 8. I hope you had your money down.

What an interesting race. I've never seen that many horses
so close together rounding the stretch turn.

Nice race, really nice ride

well, i hope i won't be made out to be a fool, but i suggest that i
haven't seen a horse that good since (god help me) big red came down the
stretch in the belmont, in the greatest display of strength in recorded
history.

in short, i think this may be the next great horse. would someone
(tlitt, others...) sign on with an opinion?

You don't often see a Derby won by over six lengths and
Barbaro looked very comfortable doing it. On the other
hand Barbaro hadn't raced in five weeks. The Preakness
is in two weeks, we'll see.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message
Nice race, really nice ride.........the win ticket was nice, but the
exacta
was real nice. Steaks for all at the Penn's Clave might be an idea.......

A very impressive finish. At the top of the stretch, Barbaro made a couple
of strides that rocketed him out of the pack. As soon as he made that move,
I said, "He's gone", and he was. That was a simply awesome sprint. The
jockey had him in the right position and Barbaro did the rest. Damned
impressive.

Joe F.

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
m...

in short, i think this may be the next great horse. would someone
(tlitt, others...) sign on with an opinion?

yfitons
wayno

well, he seems both trainable and fast. I said to my wife that this might be
the best live horse for the Triple Crown in a bit, as long as he has a fast
pace to run at(a purposely slow early pace might challenge him a bit). I
thought similarly well of Afleet Alex, but he got himself beat in the Derby,
and proved fragile overall, so only time will tell.
Tom