Is This Really Fly Fishing

Old September 20th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Sandy

Default Is This Really Fly Fishing

pgiblin wrote:
Now, I am open minded and feel that people should be allowed to fish
how they like (within the rules of the water that they are fishing.)

However, I went fishing yesterday (small stillwater) and got chatting
to a guy about his set ups etc, and he showed me the
following.......Large fluorescent bite indicator, leader with point
fly and dropper. Both 'flies' were grub imitations which looked like
long maggots.

Well to me this is virtually float fishing with a couple of
worms/maggots on.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
PG

He was fly fishing. Unless the water has rules banning floats or spinning
rods and reels and stipulates fly rod only he is within his rights to fish.

On the water run by the club I used to belong to there were several methods
of doing this.

1) Bubble and fly - Bubble float on the end, swivel, leader with droppers,
swivel. Cast out and retrieved slowly.

2) Controller and fly - same as above only bubble float replaced with a
short length, 4 to 6 inches, of clear plastic rod. Cast out and retrived
fast or slow depending on how deep you wanted it to fish.

3) as 1) except flies trailing from bubble as in the setup you saw.

The other loch I fish as a member holds competitions and if it is fly only
they distinguish between "fly only - long rod" which means traditional fly
fishing, or "any method" which allows bubble and fly. Like it or hate it,
these are the rules.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old September 21st, 2003, 11:03 AM
DG

"pgiblin" wrote in message
Now, I am open minded and feel that people should be allowed to fish how
they like (within the rules of the water that they are fishing.)

However, I went fishing yesterday (small stillwater) and got chatting to a
guy about his set ups etc, and he showed me the following.......Large
fluorescent bite indicator, leader with point fly and dropper. Both

'flies'
were grub imitations which looked like long maggots.

Well to me this is virtually float fishing with a couple of worms/maggots
on.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
PG

If the flies look like maggots is that not an example of good imitative fly
fishing? This would seem to be to be more in keeping with 'real' flyfishing
than stripping huge lures through the water. I would agree that the
fluorescent indicator does sound more like float fishing though.

However, as someone new to game fishing I can't really get my head round the
'snobbery' of some attitudes towards fly fishing. Personally I love the
thought of casting a dry fly on a summer's evening to a wild brown trout on
a chalk stream, but at the same time what is wrong with float fishing or
spinning if it is enjoyable and catches fish? I would suggest that these
methods for wild fish would certainly be as 'acceptable' as taking a limit
of newly stocked fish that can be cuaght quite easily on any flies. I am not
against this type of fishing either and believe that people should have a
free choice (if the rules allow).

I would also love to hear what others thought about this subject.

David

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , pgiblin
writes
Now, I am open minded and feel that people should be allowed to fish how
they like (within the rules of the water that they are fishing.)

However, I went fishing yesterday (small stillwater) and got chatting to a
guy about his set ups etc, and he showed me the following.......Large
fluorescent bite indicator, leader with point fly and dropper. Both 'flies'
were grub imitations which looked like long maggots.

Well to me this is virtually float fishing with a couple of worms/maggots
on.

So if I was fishing with a deer hair very buoyant fly on the top dropper
and buzzers on the other dropper and point, this would give exactly the
same effect. I'm not against the use of sight bobs, and don't consider
them as floats. Suitably buoyant flies or CDC pattern will do the same
thing.

I recall an angler fishing with a large lure - it might well have been a
biggish VIVA and winding it in with his fixed spool reel. We argued
that he was spinning, the fishery owner considered it fishing with a
fly. Spinning was NOT allowed. The angler was a good customer, so the
owner was lenient and suffering from tunnel vision methinks.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk