Can you help ID this little rod bender ....

Old September 26th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Brownz

Default Can you help ID this little rod bender ....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg

I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?

The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalo...pinnerbait.jpg

I was fishing for pike at the time.

Any expert opions more than welcome.

Cheers - Brownz

(PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a guide
to freshwater fish book !!)

Old September 27th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Phil.L

:
: I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
:
: The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:
: http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalo...pinnerbait.jpg
:
: I was fishing for pike at the time.
:
: Any expert opions more than welcome.
:
: Cheers - Brownz
:
: (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a
: guide to freshwater fish book !!)

its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
(mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Old September 27th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Brownz

"Phil.L" wrote in message
Brownz wrote:
: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(91).jpg
: I thought it might be a large roach, but it felt about 3.5lbs ?
: The odd thing as well was that it took a buzzer lure like this:

http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalo...pinnerbait.jpg
: I was fishing for pike at the time.
: Any expert opions more than welcome.
: Cheers - Brownz
: (PS - Should avoid this sort of question soon as I've just ordered a
: guide to freshwater fish book !!)

its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
(mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Thanks Bryan & Phil !!
Yup, got talking to an old hand down the local last night, he confirmed it
was a chub, and apparently they're known for taking lures/spinners. He said
he'd had quite a large one on a deadbaited sprat before too !

Another dumb newbie question .....

Are hallibut pellets any good as a hook bait when drilled, or is it wise to
always use them the conventional way on a hair rig ?

Cheers - Brownz

(PS - Just started back fishing after a 15 year gap !!)

Old September 27th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Chris Gibson

Chub it is.

And chub will routinely take small meps spinners and similar - just not a 10
inch jointed plug (at least not so fra as i know, but the again . . . )

Old September 28th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Phil.L
wrote:

its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!

Flies, spinners, plugs, livebaits...

The problem with spinning&plugging is that chub are very easily spooked and
anglers tend to take less care to keep out of sight when casting. Try to
sneak up on a surface chub under a tree and drop a bulky floating plug or
popper a few feet behind - leave it a second and then give it a couple of
short pulls.

Cheerio,

Old September 28th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Bryan Hall

its a chub, but i didnt know they would take spinners!
(mind you, nothing surprises me anymore where fish are concerned after i
caught a nice perch on breadflake!)

Chub are greedy little buggers - and they're not alone

I've watched a carp take a dead minnow off the surface before now, and
landed a pike on a meatball

Bryan Hall
Dorzet