Kayaks or sort of.

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:06 AM
B J Conner

Default Kayaks or sort of.

The Spring issue of Northwest Fly Fishing had a two coulum add for these
things.
http://www.mokai.com/index.htm
According to the add you can move up and down the stream get out and fish ..
blah blah blah.
It does have an advantage in that you can keep your beer inside (looks like
there's room for a cooler) and if you get drunk you won't fall off like you
would on a jet-ski.
What would you do if one passed you on the way upstream??
Jiust cast at it? Is a wrist rocket ethical?

Old March 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:06:14 GMT, "B J Conner"
wrote:

The Spring issue of Northwest Fly Fishing had a two coulum add for these
things.
http://www.mokai.com/index.htm
According to the add you can move up and down the stream get out and fish ..
blah blah blah.
It does have an advantage in that you can keep your beer inside (looks like
there's room for a cooler) and if you get drunk you won't fall off like you
would on a jet-ski.
What would you do if one passed you on the way upstream??
Jiust cast at it? Is a wrist rocket ethical?

If they weren't totally illegal on my two favorite rivers, I'd love to
have one. Not that I'm guessing I could afford one...

Wrist rocket is probably regarded as some sort of assault, but it'd be
less traceable than a casting line.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM
Frank Reid

It does have an advantage in that you can keep your beer inside (looks like
there's room for a cooler) and if you get drunk you won't fall off like you
would on a jet-ski.

I have the video for these things (free from the site) Its $2999 US.
They show a guy standing up, with the boat faced upstream and the thing
throttled to keep him in one place. The guy is fly fishing. I,
personally, would not try this. On the other hand, I see this as an
excellent tool for waters like the Chesapeake and some of its tribs
(i.e. the tribs are called rivers but on the Chesapeake, the turn into
huge back-bays). The 6 hp Honda engine will run for 8 hours on 3
gallons of gas (their claim) and the whole thing weighs 100 lbs. The
engine is supposed to be very quiet (which is all relative).
You could have a great day chasing stripers in a boat that you can put
on your truck or suv roof rack. On bigger rivers like the Columbia and
the Missouri, this could be a lot of fun chasing salmon or smallies.
Now we need to combine this with the pedal mechanism in the Hobie
Outcast and you'ld have the perfect, one-man flyfishing boat. Engine
off, paddle around and fish, engine on, move from hole to hole. This
would be great in the Baltimore inner harbour (great striper fishing),
where you need some extra speed to keep you from becoming a speed bump
for the tankers.
Its intriguing. If anyone would like, send me one and I'll put it
through its paces for a year or two.
Frank Reid
Old March 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM
bruiser

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

Its intriguing. If anyone would like, send me one and I'll put it
through its paces for a year or two.
Frank Reid

There's a pretty obvious joke in there somewhere. I'll leave it to Choc or
Vang to add some suitable imagery.

bruce h

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:02 PM
rb608

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
When are they usually in the harbor ? I was there
a few months ago, looked around and didn't see any-
thing. I did see a few people fishing but they
weren't having any luck.

There's ship traffic in the outer harbor area most of the time. It's not
exactly rush hour, maybe a dozen a day, but having spent a lot of time
sailing out there, I do know you have to keep an eye out. Those suckers can
actually sneak up on you (and they're faster than they look). Most of the
traffic is containers or auto carriers who don't get much inside the Francis
S. Key bridge bound for the Dundalk or Seagirt Marine Terminals. There are
a few smaller frieght terminals closer to Ft. McHenry & the Inner Harbor;
but overall, ship traffic is less frequent the closer in you get.

Flyfishing in the harbor area (which I'll define as anything upriver of the
aforementioned bridge) is, I'm told, surprisingly good for stripers
(Clousers, deceivers, etc.). If you have a boat, a depthsounder, & decent
charts, you can fish the deep dropoffs adjacent to shallow feeding areas,
even right alongside an industrial facility (sometimes as a result of
dreding a slip). No personal experience there, but I do hear credible
stories. The bankside bait fishermen do okay with white perch, catfish,
eels, & other stuff. I wouldn't eat anything that comes out of that water,
though.

Joe F.

Old March 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:19:11 -0800, "bruiser"
wrote:

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

Its intriguing. If anyone would like, send me one and I'll put it
through its paces for a year or two.
Frank Reid

There's a pretty obvious joke in there somewhere. I'll leave it to Choc or
Vang to add some suitable imagery.

Joke? Hell, this is a sure-bet financial gold mine a' happening!

We pool some money, buy a really fat policy, and wait for the inevitable!

/daytripper
(Sorry Frank. Nothing personal, but an opportunity is an opportunity ;-)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
Tom Littleton

daytripper writes(of Reid's kayak idea)

this is a sure-bet financial gold mine a' happening!

We pool some money, buy a really fat policy, and wait for the inevitable!

are you suggesting that someone would be gullible enough to underwrite such a
policy?? Cripes! I figure his wife has to take out special riders on the
policy to get homeowner's coverage.
At any rate, should Frank like to motor his way through Penn's in May, I will
wait for the inevitable, down by the whirlpool behind the Sportsman's Club,
rope in hand. I feel an obligation to be ready to rescue the guy, just to hear
the story afterward!! Should he take it out on the inner harbor, they could
probably charge extra for the window seats at Phillips, just for the
entertainment value.
Tom
P.S. Man, if we could pony up for a couple of these puppies, we could have
river races replace the Orange Caddis rodeo at Penn's. Imagine the fun, the
challenge of zipping up and down stream around the various submerged objects:
rocks, logs,
Dave LaCourse and suchg!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:39 AM
Frank Reid

[...]

SPLORK!

MAAAAA! They're makin' fun of me again. Facts is facts, who better to test
out the unsinkable? A boatload of passengers on the Titanic who's families
have their own stable of high-dollar barristers or me?
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
riverman

wrote:
Joke? Hell, this is a sure-bet financial gold mine a' happening!

We pool some money, buy a really fat policy, and wait for the inevitable!

/daytripper
(Sorry Frank. Nothing personal, but an opportunity is an opportunity ;-)

Hmm...not so far from the truth. My father drowned out of a boat almost
exactly this size two years ago. He believed the advertising that showed
someone standing up and fishing in it, and although he was afraid of the
water, he didn't have a life jacket and when he stood up to test the
stability (he was seen from shore), the boat shot out from under him and he
went in. Took 10 days to find his body.

Check out the similarity of these two pictures. One if from this 'Mokai'
boat, the other is from the boat dad drowned out of.

http://www.mokai.com/gallery.htm (bottom row, third picture in)
http://www.seaeagle.com/motormount/SE6.asp (picture in top right, as they
rotate through).

Neither guy has a life jacket, both are stand-up casting, both are in
ludicrously tiny boats. Anyone want to sponsor me in a lawsuit, I'll split
it 50-50. If this advertising isn't negligent, not much is.

--riverman
(My apologies for bringing in the sober side of this.)

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , riverman
wrote:

Anyone want to sponsor me in a lawsuit, I'll split
it 50-50. If this advertising isn't negligent, not much is.

I'm shocked. "Wicked" is the word - in the old sense. Really, really
bad.

Remover the rock from the email address