caddis hatch galore

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:05 AM
eric paul zamora

Default caddis hatch galore

hello everybody. i am what is called a newbie to fly fishing. still
learning to cast (experiencing some gloriously smooth casts, but not all the
time ;-) and now working on reading water and trying to figure out what to
pitch to the trout in my central california rivers and streams.

the purpose of writing is to share something i hadn't exerienced yet, until
saturday evening.

i was standing in my hip waders in the knee high flowing water of the Kings
River saturday evening. it was a very quick trip after work where i managed
to get to the water 20 minutes before it went dark (a lady friend said she
wanted to "watch me fish." sheesh). i noticed a few bugs flying about when
i arrived. trying to focus on them i couldn't quite make them out and i
couldn't catch one easily. within minutes, they were everywhere. crawling
all over my arms and my shirt, partially obscuring my eyeglassees were small
little brownish caddis flies, with light greyish wings. i read and read
about hatches but hadn't experienced one yet. pretty cool. this hatch
lasted about 20 minutes, about the same time i decided to call it quits
because i simply couldn't see any longer.

didn't catch anything from the river though. dang. local fishing report is
saying the full moon means the trout (specifically) are feeding at night and
laying REALLY low during daylight hours.

eric zamora
fresno, ca.

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Larry L

Getting closer to the awesome magnificence of Nature is my main reason for
fishing and hunting

Hatches can be a true spectacle and I'm sure I'll never tire of watching
them and the feeding fish and birds they inspire.

welcome to the club ... fly fishing offers many wonderful things besides
catching fish

but,

they were feeding, full moon or not G Try soft hackles ( a Partridge
and Hares Ear, from your bug description ) or sparkle pupa, or Iris caddis
or other emerger. MOST times a true dry caddis imitation ( EHC type
patterns ) will not work well during an actual emergence itself though they
are great during egglaying and good prospecting, non hatch time, patterns.

One last bit of Old Fart's advice ( I have no clue what your experience
level is ... so no offense intended :-) "lady friends" that like you and
the outdoors enough to want to watch you fish are very rare and usually
deserving of special appreciation and consideration G

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Tim J.

"Larry L" wrote...
snip
"lady friends" that like you and
the outdoors enough to want to watch you fish are very rare and usually
deserving of special appreciation and consideration G

.. . . or should be watched carefully and suspiciously. She may have just wanted
to see if he was using a T&T with a Hardy reel or a KPOS with a Pflueger.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Graham Knight

Larry L wrote:
"lady friends" that like you and
the outdoors enough to want to watch you fish are very rare and usually
deserving of special appreciation and consideration G

I like it when she gets in the water and starts fishing too. I
particularly like it when she has learned how to tie her own knots. :-)

Graham

--

And as an afterthought, this must too be told,
Some people are taking pure bull****, and turning it into gold.

What's happening in Idledale? Not Much! http://www.idledale.com/

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM
no

In article ,
"Tim J." wrote:

. . . or should be watched carefully and suspiciously. She may have just
wanted
to see if he was using a T&T with a Hardy reel or a KPOS with a Pflueger.

Whats the significance of a Hardy reel or a pflueger? I have a hardy
reel in my tackle box that belonged to my grandfather that I dont use
because its not automatic.
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Tim J.

"no" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote:

. . . or should be watched carefully and suspiciously. She may have just
wanted
to see if he was using a T&T with a Hardy reel or a KPOS with a Pflueger.

Whats the significance of a Hardy reel or a pflueger? I have a hardy
reel in my tackle box that belonged to my grandfather that I dont use
because its not automatic.

It's a useless POS. You should get rid of it immediately lest all of your tackle
turn to mush. To properly dispose of this reel without damaging the environment,
send it to:

Tim Johnson
c/o Solutions by Computer, Inc.
191 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA 01103

I just hope I've informed you in time.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Mu Young Lee

Well keep us updated. I'm interested in visiting your neck of the woods
sometime soon.

Mu
Redondo Beach, CA
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:48 AM
eric paul zamora

Default caddis hatch galore | eastern sierra trip?

yeah, she likes me. i'm still trying to figure out why... ;-)

but i hope she NEVER actually takes up fishing. she'd probably CATCH
something and then where would my ego be? --a tad bit of self-deprecating
humor there)

i'm sure they were dining on something but i wasn't aware of it and simply
did not have time to try anything more in the faded light. i think a
spinning buddy of mine and i are going to revisit the lower Kings River
again on wednesday (tomorrow/today). have to be back home by 6pm to pick up
my little girl.

i might have next week free (from work). tioga pass road through yosemite,
dropping down to lee vining/mono lake area should be closing once the first
storm approaches. this usually happens sometime in november, so there's an
option to take 2-3 days and devote it to a trip for fishing right now. can
anybody suggest a place to fish for trout? my buddy kurt has been fishing
for the last 2 months and i swear, for some reason, he hasn't caught a damn
thing. frustration is mounting for him and i feel bad. he wants to take up
fly fishing but he's throwing up a mental block for now. he thinks if he
can't get the hang of spinning tackle how can he learn fly technique? horse
to water, horse to water, for now.

if i cross over tioga, i (we) can head up to the bridgeport area, or down
towards june lake loop and mammoth or even the owens river valley. i
personally prefer stream fishing but would be open to lake fishing if it
might help his chances.

thanks

eric zamora
fresno, ca.