Mystery Fly

Old April 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
D Screen

Default Mystery Fly

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find out what
type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with a
photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

I posted it to my website as a high resolution jpg at 600k so broadband
connections may be best.

The fur is soft not stiff..medium tan with black tips. The most
unusual thing is the kinked tips. Looks like they are kinked at a 60
degree angle.

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Don
Allen, TX
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM

D Screen wrote:
Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find out

what
type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with a
photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

....I'd be tempted to call that a Fuzzhead Variant,
or perhaps a Fuzzhead Deviant.

Old April 19th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Osmo Jauhiainen

Don,

This fly is looking out very interesting.
The hair is more or less like dark bear fur.
But the body is not easy to see. And the tying technique is unknown if
this really is bear fur.

OsmoJ

Old April 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Thomas Littleton

"D Screen" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find out what
type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with a
photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

I posted it to my website as a high resolution jpg at 600k so broadband
connections may be best.

The fur is soft not stiff..medium tan with black tips. The most
unusual thing is the kinked tips. Looks like they are kinked at a 60
degree angle.

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Don
Allen, TX

My guess might be woodchuck, with the guard hairs teased out for the collar,
and same guardhairs for the tail, but that is merely a guess.
Tom

Old April 20th, 2005, 01:01 AM
bearsbuddy

"Thomas Littleton" wrote in message
My guess might be woodchuck, with the guard hairs teased out for the
collar,
and same guardhairs for the tail, but that is merely a guess.
Tom

I'm with Osmo. It appears to be bear fur.

Mark

Old April 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM
bones

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:06:25 -0500, D Screen
wrote:

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find out what
type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with a
photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

I posted it to my website as a high resolution jpg at 600k so broadband
connections may be best.

The fur is soft not stiff..medium tan with black tips. The most
unusual thing is the kinked tips. Looks like they are kinked at a 60
degree angle.

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Don
Allen, TX

maybe buffalo... or bear
Harry Mason
www.Troutflies.com
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Sum Ting Wong

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:23:22 GMT, bones wrote:

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Perhaps some fur off a black and tan coonhound?

S.T.W.

Old April 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM
W. D. Grey

In article , D Screen
writes
Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find
out what type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with
a photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

I posted it to my website as a high resolution jpg at 600k so broadband
connections may be best.

The fur is soft not stiff..medium tan with black tips. The most
unusual thing is the kinked tips. Looks like they are kinked at a 60
degree angle.

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Don
Allen, TX

The question is_ "Does it catch fish?"
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
Herman Nijland

D Screen wrote:
Hi,

A friend of mine gave me this fly and asked me to try and find out
what type of fur/hair it is tied with. I did the best I could with a
photograph of it:

http://home.comcast.net/~dscreen/fly...mysteryfly.jpg

I posted it to my website as a high resolution jpg at 600k so broadband
connections may be best.

The fur is soft not stiff..medium tan with black tips. The most
unusual thing is the kinked tips. Looks like they are kinked at a 60
degree angle.

Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated.

Don
Allen, TX

Let me throw in another suggestion - it looks very much like a fly from
my box, and I use polar fox for these.

--
Herman
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:06 PM
D Screen

Thanks to everyone who replied. The most popular response was bear
fur. I did make a trip to Barlow's here in Richardson, TX yesterday.
The closest material I could find was fox. Did not see bear fur patches
for sale there so that still could be it.
I'm going to the Dallas Flyfishers auction Saturday night here in Plano.
I'll let me friend know about your replies.
Thanks!
Don