nymph bubbles

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default nymph bubbles

I've been experimenting with mixing Frog's Fanny (aka Cab-O-Sil TS-720)
with the dubbing when tying nymphs. The idea is to get the strongly
hydrophobic treated fumed silica particles tied deep into the nymph
body. So far, so good. It makes a realistic looking bubble to my eye.
I've been tying a variant of Skip's Nymph -- basically a PT with hare's
ear dubbing for the thorax instead of peacock herl. The next step is to
try it on-stream. I'll go out for a spring whitefish extravaganza
tomorrow, to fill my smoker.

Photos to follow on abpf.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

rw wrote:
I've been experimenting with mixing Frog's Fanny (aka Cab-O-Sil TS-720)
with the dubbing when tying nymphs. The idea is to get the strongly
hydrophobic treated fumed silica particles tied deep into the nymph
body. So far, so good. It makes a realistic looking bubble to my eye.
I've been tying a variant of Skip's Nymph -- basically a PT with hare's
ear dubbing for the thorax instead of peacock herl. The next step is to
try it on-stream. I'll go out for a spring whitefish extravaganza
tomorrow, to fill my smoker.

Photos to follow on abpf.

I tied up a few Sparkle Pupae with the Cab-O-Sil "tied in" to the
underbody. Tried them last weekend on the Willimantic in CT with
excellent results. Kept swapping back and forth between treated and
untreated flies that were otherwise identical. The Cab-o-sil treated
flies out caught the others by about 4 to 1. Going up to northern NH on
the eleventh for a week. Caddis should be on big time. Will be
interesting.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

wrote:
I tied up a few Sparkle Pupae with the Cab-O-Sil "tied in" to the
underbody.

George? How did you tie it in? Did you rub the powder into the dubbing?
Dust the dubbed thread? What?

--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Stan Gula wrote:
wrote:
I tied up a few Sparkle Pupae with the Cab-O-Sil "tied in" to the
underbody.

George? How did you tie it in? Did you rub the powder into the dubbing?
Dust the dubbed thread? What?

--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

I used a lot of wax on the dubbing thread and worked the FF into the
dubbing with a brush. Worked more in prior to tying in the overbody.
The stuff doesn't last forever...I found the fly became less effective
after catching a few fish, but could be "refreshed" temporarily by
working more in with the brush. As RW said in an earlier post, you need
to have a lot of FF if you're going to do this on a regular basis. It
takes a lot more than if you're simply using it to dry and dress your
floating flies.

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

rw wrote:
I've been experimenting with mixing Frog's Fanny (aka Cab-O-Sil TS-720)
with the dubbing when tying nymphs.

Sounds like a good idea. several years ago a former friend started
rubbing a row of nymphs with the stuff in his flybox using an old
toothbrush. The bubbles seem to attract fish when the flies are fished.
You waste a good bunch of the Frog's Fanny, but is it a waste when you
are catching fish?

Big Dale

Old June 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Big Dale wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. several years ago a former friend started
rubbing a row of nymphs with the stuff in his flybox using an old
toothbrush.

Ralph cutter has a few ideas as well

http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/all_that_glitters/

Steve

Old June 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

In article . com,
"Big Dale" wrote:

rw wrote:
I've been experimenting with mixing Frog's Fanny (aka Cab-O-Sil TS-720)
with the dubbing when tying nymphs.

Sounds like a good idea. several years ago a former friend started
rubbing a row of nymphs with the stuff in his flybox using an old
toothbrush. The bubbles seem to attract fish when the flies are fished.
You waste a good bunch of the Frog's Fanny, but is it a waste when you
are catching fish?

Big Dale

Why would he ned tp d