A Fishing forum. FishingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishingBanter forum » rec.outdoors.fishing newsgroups » Fly Fishing Tying
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Muskie Fly



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Muskie Fly

I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan
  #2  
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Muskie Fly

Stan wrote:
I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan


I saw the show. Sorry, but I think I missed part of the show too....4
year olds can do that to fishing show. ;-) Anyway, as best I can tell,
the tail was extra long bucktail. Not sure of the colors, but purple,
and or red seem to be right. The body was a very bushy chenille like
Estaz. Color seemed gold or olive? The head/collar I don't
remember......................Just dawned on me. One of the guys was the
local fly shop owner/guide, and he tied the flies. DOH!

http://www.wetieit.com/

Hope this helps

brians


  #3  
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Muskie Fly

Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens.

Speaking of the show, I have never fished for Muskies, let alone on a
fly rod. After watching the show, my sporting blood was flowing!

Stan

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:15:24 GMT, briansfly
wrote:

Stan wrote:
I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan


I saw the show. Sorry, but I think I missed part of the show too....4
year olds can do that to fishing show. ;-) Anyway, as best I can tell,
the tail was extra long bucktail. Not sure of the colors, but purple,
and or red seem to be right. The body was a very bushy chenille like
Estaz. Color seemed gold or olive? The head/collar I don't
remember......................Just dawned on me. One of the guys was the
local fly shop owner/guide, and he tied the flies. DOH!

http://www.wetieit.com/

Hope this helps

brians



  #4  
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,594
Default Muskie Fly

Stan wrote:
Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens. ...


Either that or take his Muskie Fly Fishing Clinic, with optional
tying session, at the end of May.

http://www.wetieit.com/blog/index.php?category=5

See you there.

And yes indeed, thanks Brian !!

--
Ken Fortenberry
  #5  
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Muskie Fly

Stan wrote:

Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens.

Speaking of the show, I have never fished for Muskies, let alone on a
fly rod. After watching the show, my sporting blood was flowing!

Stan


Stan,

That's was great customer service, eh. :-( The sparkle part is not a big
deal. They showed him doing it on the show. Just buy some glitter at a
crafts store, and mix it in the epoxy. Colors range from plain
metallics, to rainbow colors. I also think you can buy different flakes,
from fine, to coarse. Do some trial mixtures. It doesn't take much
glitter to get a sparkle effect. As for the fly itself, I wish I could
remember what the collar and head looked like.

brians

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:15:24 GMT, briansfly
wrote:


Stan wrote:

I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan


I saw the show. Sorry, but I think I missed part of the show too....4
year olds can do that to fishing show. ;-) Anyway, as best I can tell,
the tail was extra long bucktail. Not sure of the colors, but purple,
and or red seem to be right. The body was a very bushy chenille like
Estaz. Color seemed gold or olive? The head/collar I don't
remember......................Just dawned on me. One of the guys was the
local fly shop owner/guide, and he tied the flies. DOH!

http://www.wetieit.com/

Hope this helps

brians





  #6  
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,594
Default Muskie Fly

briansfly wrote:
Stan wrote:
I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video." ...


That's was great customer service, eh. :-( ...


That's somewhat of a harsh assessment I think. I talked to Bill
for a good half hour, forty-five minutes on the phone and he was
quite helpful. He's in Florida right now guiding for red fish so
perhaps he's too busy to spend a lot of time on email with
non-customers. I didn't ask about the fly in the show you guys
watched, I either don't get that channel or don't pay for it on
my cable so I don't know what you're talking about. I did ask if
there were any commercial ties that he liked for Muskie and after
the obligatory, "Of course not", he mentioned Bunny flies and
Deceivers.

He gave me a ton of other helpful info about Muskie fishing with
a fly rod too but that's not really appropriate here in the tying
group. Start a Muskie thread on roff and I'll post it there.

--
Ken Fortenberry
  #7  
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Muskie Fly

Ken,

You're right, it may have been a harsh assesment on my part. I guess
I was a little too harsh in how I related this.

Bill did mention that he was in Florida, and the guy did take the time
to write me a detailed reply. Hey, the man is in business, so what can
I say.

I will follow your advice and post on ROFF.

And Brian...thanks again!

Stan

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:33:31 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

briansfly wrote:
Stan wrote:
I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video." ...


That's was great customer service, eh. :-( ...


That's somewhat of a harsh assessment I think. I talked to Bill
for a good half hour, forty-five minutes on the phone and he was
quite helpful. He's in Florida right now guiding for red fish so
perhaps he's too busy to spend a lot of time on email with
non-customers. I didn't ask about the fly in the show you guys
watched, I either don't get that channel or don't pay for it on
my cable so I don't know what you're talking about. I did ask if
there were any commercial ties that he liked for Muskie and after
the obligatory, "Of course not", he mentioned Bunny flies and
Deceivers.

He gave me a ton of other helpful info about Muskie fishing with
a fly rod too but that's not really appropriate here in the tying
group. Start a Muskie thread on roff and I'll post it there.

--
Ken Fortenberry


  #8  
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Muskie Fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
briansfly wrote:

Stan wrote:

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video." ...



That's was great customer service, eh. :-( ...



That's somewhat of a harsh assessment I think. I talked to Bill
for a good half hour, forty-five minutes on the phone and he was
quite helpful. He's in Florida right now guiding for red fish so
perhaps he's too busy to spend a lot of time on email with
non-customers. I didn't ask about the fly in the show you guys
watched, I either don't get that channel or don't pay for it on
my cable so I don't know what you're talking about. I did ask if
there were any commercial ties that he liked for Muskie and after
the obligatory, "Of course not", he mentioned Bunny flies and
Deceivers.

He gave me a ton of other helpful info about Muskie fishing with
a fly rod too but that's not really appropriate here in the tying
group. Start a Muskie thread on roff and I'll post it there.



Ok, I take back the customer service comment. :-) FWIW, Bill came off
really well on the show. Seems like a good guy, doing what he loves.

brians

  #9  
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
rogermackk rogermackk is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FishingBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Tie flies is a good epoxy job, but I am confused what / how he mixed in access to spark. I think, as a last resort, a person can do only one flash head fur glue pen.
  #10  
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
craiggwillson craiggwillson is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FishingBanter: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Tying adhesive arch flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to what/how he alloyed in to get the sparkle. I assumption as a endure resort, a person could just covering the accomplished arch with one of those glitter glue pens.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Muskie Lures [email protected] General Discussion 0 August 7th, 2006 02:47 PM
Damn Muskie! Vittorix General Discussion 21 September 26th, 2005 02:18 PM
Damn Muskie! Vittorix General Discussion 6 July 26th, 2005 07:26 PM
Damn Muskie! Vittorix Bass Fishing 3 July 26th, 2005 06:05 AM
Muskie on a fly? Tim Carter Fly Fishing 7 May 6th, 2004 08:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FishingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.