A Fishing forum. FishingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishingBanter forum » rec.outdoors.fishing newsgroups » Fly Fishing Tying
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Material Storage



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid 2010
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 579
Default Material Storage

Material storage is always difficult. Boxes don't collapse down for
travel. Unless the box is clear, you can't see what's in there.
Envelopes are flat, but not clear. Also, if you used either of the
above, you are subject to bugs in your materials (trust me on this
one, chucked a bunch of material last year).
Few years ago, there was a guy out of Florida that invented and sold
something called the "Fly Hive." Fly Hive was a set of 10 clear
plastic, gusseted envelopes with a velcro-secure flap. Inside was a
white, stiff-plastic divider. These all fit into a square black
bag.
Beauty of this set was that you could put materials into either side
of the envelopes or "files" as they call them and instantly see what
you had. Material stays flat, secure and, most importantly, bug free.
Files close up perfectly. Problem is that they were expensive (whole
kit was about 85 bucks) and, now, the company has gone out of
business.
Just found a guy in Florida (The Fly Hatch Tampa Angler) who is
selling replacement files. He had the files, but no center divider/
stiffeners. Talked to him online and told him about the corrugated
plastic used in yard signs. Sti. ff, light-weight and VERY
inexpensive.
Long story short, if you're looking for something to store your
materials in, go on Ebay and buy some of these. I just bought 30. I
can put the materials in one file for a couple of flies and take it to
do a demo, or, as I have it now, the materials well divided.. I.e one
for grizzly hackles, with dyed on the other side. Next for brown
hackles..... By the way, one file will hold about 18 buck tails.
Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with Fly Hive or the Fly
Hatch Tampa Angler. By the way, these things are pretty well bug
proof. Cost is 3.99 per file.
Frank Reid
  #2  
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid 2010
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 579
Default Material Storage

On Mar 30, 9:15*pm, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
Material storage is always difficult. *Boxes don't collapse down for
travel. *Unless the box is clear, you can't see what's in there.
Envelopes are flat, but not clear. *Also, if you used either of the
above, you are subject to bugs in your materials (trust me on this
one, chucked a bunch of material last year).
Few years ago, there was a guy out of Florida that invented and sold
something called the "Fly Hive." *Fly Hive was a set of 10 clear
plastic, gusseted envelopes with a velcro-secure flap. *Inside was a
white, stiff-plastic divider. *These all fit into a square black
bag.
Beauty of this set was that you could put materials into either side
of the envelopes or "files" as they call them and instantly see what
you had. *Material stays flat, secure and, most importantly, bug free.
Files close up perfectly. *Problem is that they were expensive (whole
kit was about 85 bucks) and, now, the company has gone out of
business.
Just found a guy in Florida (The Fly Hatch Tampa Angler) who is
selling replacement files. *He had the files, but no center divider/
stiffeners. *Talked to him online and told him about the corrugated
plastic used in yard signs. *Sti. *ff, light-weight and VERY
inexpensive.
Long story short, if you're looking for something to store your
materials in, go on Ebay and buy some of these. *I just bought 30. *I
can put the materials in one file for a couple of flies and take it to
do a demo, or, as I have it now, the materials well divided.. *I.e one
for grizzly hackles, with dyed on the other side. Next for brown
hackles..... * *By the way, one file will hold about 18 buck tails.
Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with Fly Hive or the Fly
Hatch Tampa Angler. *By the way, these things are pretty well bug
proof. *Cost is 3.99 per file.
Frank Reid


By the way, what I tried to say is that he used the corrugated plastic
as stiffeners. Works great.
Frank Reid
  #3  
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid 2010
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 579
Default Material Storage

On Mar 30, 9:19*pm, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:15*pm, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:









Material storage is always difficult. *Boxes don't collapse down for
travel. *Unless the box is clear, you can't see what's in there.
Envelopes are flat, but not clear. *Also, if you used either of the
above, you are subject to bugs in your materials (trust me on this
one, chucked a bunch of material last year).
Few years ago, there was a guy out of Florida that invented and sold
something called the "Fly Hive." *Fly Hive was a set of 10 clear
plastic, gusseted envelopes with a velcro-secure flap. *Inside was a
white, stiff-plastic divider. *These all fit into a square black
bag.
Beauty of this set was that you could put materials into either side
of the envelopes or "files" as they call them and instantly see what
you had. *Material stays flat, secure and, most importantly, bug free..
Files close up perfectly. *Problem is that they were expensive (whole
kit was about 85 bucks) and, now, the company has gone out of
business.
Just found a guy in Florida (The Fly Hatch Tampa Angler) who is
selling replacement files. *He had the files, but no center divider/
stiffeners. *Talked to him online and told him about the corrugated
plastic used in yard signs. *Sti. *ff, light-weight and VERY
inexpensive.
Long story short, if you're looking for something to store your
materials in, go on Ebay and buy some of these. *I just bought 30. *I
can put the materials in one file for a couple of flies and take it to
do a demo, or, as I have it now, the materials well divided.. *I.e one
for grizzly hackles, with dyed on the other side. Next for brown
hackles..... * *By the way, one file will hold about 18 buck tails.
Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with Fly Hive or the Fly
Hatch Tampa Angler. *By the way, these things are pretty well bug
proof. *Cost is 3.99 per file.
Frank Reid


By the way, what I tried to say is that he used the corrugated plastic
as stiffeners. *Works great
Frank Reid


By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid
  #4  
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,741
Default Material Storage

On 3/30/2011 11:26 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid


haven't checked out this corner of USENET in months. This made it
worthwhile.g
Tom
.....by the way....

  #5  
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid 2010
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 579
Default Material Storage

On Apr 2, 1:40*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 3/30/2011 11:26 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid


haven't checked out this corner of USENET in months. This made it
worthwhile.g
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom
....by the way....


Got word from Petah Charles (who finally retired on the 1st) that he
may be in the vicinity of Penns during the last week of May.
Frank Reid
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Material Storage [email protected] Fly Fishing Tying 0 January 24th, 2009 03:38 PM
Storage Mike Connor Fly Fishing Tying 0 October 23rd, 2004 01:20 AM
storage system Lure builder Bass Fishing 0 August 30th, 2004 09:02 PM
tackle storage Leperskin UK Coarse Fishing 0 April 30th, 2004 10:15 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FishingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.