Got out for an hour today and caught a couple

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Got out for an hour today and caught a couple

http://www.yumabassman.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1125376960

Nothing special, but not bad for an hour on the water.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 30th, 2005, 12:54 PM
SHRED

Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.yumabassman.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1125376960

Nothing special, but not bad for an hour on the water.

Dang Bob, I envy all that open water you have to fish over there.

If I wanted to tent camp and kayak bass fish, what time of year, and
where would be a good area for that?

I live in San Diego area.
Thanks,

--
~~SHRED
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Bob La Londe

"SHRED" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.yumabassman.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1125376960

Nothing special, but not bad for an hour on the water.

Dang Bob, I envy all that open water you have to fish over there.

If I wanted to tent camp and kayak bass fish, what time of year, and where
would be a good area for that?

I live in San Diego area.
Thanks,

--
~~SHRED

You should compare notes with CJ Siebler. He lives in SD and comes over
this way once in a while to kayak and fish. We catch fish year around.
Lately with all the thunderstorms we have had muddy conditions, but its
clearing.

I'ld say for camping weather soon come out in the fall. Late September,
October, and maybe early November depending on weather. That might be one
of the best times soon to get into numbers of fish in the lakes.

Of course most of our biggest fish are caught prespawn in February and
March. Some as late as April, but that's usually transitional. Also decent
camping weather.

Since you mentioned kayaking you probably need to plan how much kayaking and
how much fishing you want to do. Mittry lake is a solo lake with very
little current through it. No water skiing is allowed on Mittry, but there
is also no speed limit. Mittry has lots of shore access and has a ten day
stay limit with no fees. Also, not much in the way of improvements. There
is a restroom near the main launch ramp.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...461&Y=2271&W=1

The river above Imperial dam is where most folks fish, camp, and party.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...X=57&Y=284&W=1

Squaw lake has a BLM managed campground and opens onto the main river.
Squaw is nice for kayaking as the whole lake has a 5mph speed limit. There
are several decent fishable backwaters nearby as well as the main river. I
think its $5/day at Squaw. I have never camped there, but day or ramp use
use is $5 per day. Its a nice facility with restrooms and showers.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...920&Y=4553&W=1

The dam you see in the upper portion of that aerial pic forms a body of
water called Senator's wash. I would stay out of that with a kayak. It
tends to get wild with jetskis on weekends, but it might not be bad during
the week. The water in the middle is Squaw lake.

Fisher's Landing is also very good. Its free to launch.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...920&Y=4563&W=1

The cove marina / cove on the right is Fisher's landing. Upstream (north)
you see the entrance to Martinez Lake. Always a decent option to fish.
Martinez has a large wildlife refuge area that is low speed only, but it is
off limits int he winter time during the main part of the duck migration. I
don't recall the dates, but its clearly posted with a line of marker bouys.
I know several people who make a point of fishing that area the first day
after the off limits opens in the spring.

I am not sure what the camping situation is there. I know there is no
charge to just park an RV in the parking area. For formal camping areas
I'm not really sure what is available. If you were thinking a float down
and camp overnight kinda trip you might consider putting in at Fisher's and
floatting down to Squaw or Hidden Shores to pull out. Camping on the river
is allowed, but there aren't a huge number of good spots to pitch a tent. I
think officially there is a 10 or 14 day stay limit on the river.

Some more adventurous guys will put in up at Taylor Lake or Picacho Park and
float down a little further.

For a nice shorter float trip you can look at the lower river. Below Laguna
Dam. There you won't run into much if any boat traffic if any. You can put
in at the confluence of the Gila River and the Colorado river and float down
to one of the parks at Yuma. Half day float / paddle or maybe get soem
directions to put in at what we call Bruce Church and make it a 3/4 day
float. There are a couple bare beaches suitable for tenting. Look for tire
tracks before picking a camping site. The last thing you want to do is get
woken up in the middle by drinking teenagers in 4X4s.

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:02 AM
SHRED

Bob La Londe wrote:
Hey SHRED!!! Did you get his post? Is it what you were looking for?

THANKS BOB!