Tackle Shopping..I need some help!

Old April 10th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Suthern Transplant

Default Tackle Shopping..I need some help!

Hey Guys,

I live in a smallish town in Illinois 30 min. North of St. Louis, MO. We
have 2 local tackle stores and Wally world to choose from for tackle
purchases. They are all pretty abysmal in terms of their selections for
anything which is new and hott or is not generic in nature. Further, I am
not willing to drive 1 1/2 hours to get what I need from the BP Shop in St.
Charles...(call me lazy)

I am sure I am not the only one who has this issue that is a part of this
NG.
(I want to update my tackle selection and am in need of everything from
hooks to terminal gear.)

My question: Where are the places you guys and ladies shop when you can't
find what you are looking for locally? Is there a solid website(s) I can
order from which has pretty near everything at reasonable pricing?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Suthern
Spring is teasing us here...warm then cool. Just got my Merc 50 worked on n
I can hardly wait...

Old April 10th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Bob La Londe

I have the advantage of a pretty well stocked local shop, but on the rare
occassions when Lannes can't get what I want at The Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way
I'll visit the Bass Pro or Cabelas website. For boating stuff I'll always
cross check against West Marine and iBoats as well.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 10th, 2004, 09:55 PM
hermit

I get most fly fishing equipment locally - we have a local Orvis shop
as well as four other shops with fly fishing gear.

For the other equipment, try a local Gander Mountain, or you just
can't go wrong with BassPro Shops or Cabelas. I've been getting stuff
from them for years.

Regards,

Dick

Old April 10th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Brad Coovert

Look at TackleWarehouse.com. Good selection of baits and free shipping as
well.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old April 11th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Henry Hefner

I can't vouch for their web ordering, but I find a great selection at
Barlow's Tackle here locally, and a quick glance at their website looks
like they have it all.

www.barlowstackle.com
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

[...]

I frequent a bait/tackle shop in nearby Tomahawk. When I first started
going there, they had they typical small time tackle shop selection of
products. I started asking if they could get this lure, that style of
hooks, etc. Being nice people, they wanted to help me out and make a few
bucks in the process, so they ordered the stuff for me.

Two years ago, they asked me to help them make up their spring tackle order!
Talk about being like a kid in a candy store! It was a lot of fun, spending
other people's money... But wanting to help them and give them a balanced
selection, I was careful with my order selection. They soon figured out
what type of products serious anglers were looking for and now they have a
great selection of products and gear.

Try that with the shops in your area. Politely ask them to order what
you're looking for, and they'll probably get it for you. If they won't,
then go to the other shop and ask them for the same service. I'd be willing
to bet that one of them will be more than happy to accomodate you. Just
don't wait until you're out to ask for a specific bag of worms.

Otherwise, BassPro and Cabela's have been decent companies to order from
over the web.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 11th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Bob

snip

[...]

I second that. There is nothing wrong with asking your local fisherdude if
they can place a special order for you. The only potential problem is if
they have to order minimum quantities, as sometimes happens. You might be
able to work with them on this, especially if their supplier does not
require high count minimums on individual items.

Otherwise, I would have no problem referring you to BassPro or Cabelas on
the web. I have shopped with both of them in-store, and on-line. After
seeing how they are set up, I have not noticed any difference in products or
service from either company. While they are both "very-large-corporations"
:-), they both seem to adhere to a service policy similar to L.L. Beans,
i.e.. The customer is smart enough to know what s/he wants, so we will do
our best to provide it.

Hey Steve, is that Chuck's there in Tomahawk? Nice joint he has there.

Bob
Cast far

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob" wrote in message SNIP

Hey Steve, is that Chuck's there in Tomahawk? Nice joint he has there.

Nah, Chuck always was a jerk when I was in there. I was looking for a
specific lure and when I asked if he had it or could get it, he said "If I
don't have it, you don't need it." I don't go there anymore. I go across
the street to Aquatic Arts, Dave and Debbie are better people.

Old April 11th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message SNIP

Hey Steve, is that Chuck's there in Tomahawk? Nice joint he has there.

Nah, Chuck always was a jerk when I was in there. I was looking for a
specific lure and when I asked if he had it or could get it, he said "If I
don't have it, you don't need it." I don't go there anymore. I go across
the street to Aquatic Arts, Dave and Debbie are better people.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Seems to be well stocked these days. Though I don't usually have much choice
on where I go when in the area, as I am with my dad most of the time and he
is pretty stuck in his ways. Heck, he complains about not having the bait
shop that USED to be on the north side of town by the CC road, and that one
has been gone for something like 15 - 20 years! And whatever you do, do not
ask him about the bakery in Prentice, 50 years and counting since that one
closed!

Bob

Old April 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Suthern Transplant

Hey Thanks Guys!

I will use your suggestions and ask as well locally for specialty stuff.

Suthern