Fly tying supplies

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
egildone

Default Fly tying supplies

My son-in-law just made me a really slick fly tying bench and now I'm trying
to get tools and supplies to stock it. I have been bidding on items on ebay
but keep getting outbid. Has anyone had success buying on ebay?

Ed

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Steve Egge

I looked on e-bay a bit ago just to see what was offered.
Nothing there that I would buy ... rather get what I want and be assured its
condition. Also if you find a material you like ... how are you going to easily
get more. I'd go to a local fly shop or choose from one of the better shops
online. Just my opinion...

Steve Egge

Old March 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Sierra fisher

I find very few bargains when you add in shipping and handling. If you
could be assured of buying numerous articles from one person and then
combine the shipping, it might work. Howeverthere are no assurances.

"egildone" wrote in message
My son-in-law just made me a really slick fly tying bench and now I'm

trying
to get tools and supplies to stock it. I have been bidding on items on

ebay
but keep getting outbid. Has anyone had success buying on ebay?

Ed

---

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

"egildone" wrote in message
My son-in-law just made me a really slick fly tying bench and now I'm

trying
to get tools and supplies to stock it. I have been bidding on items on

ebay
but keep getting outbid. Has anyone had success buying on ebay?

Ed

---

Pretty much agree with that statement. Sometime you will find shops dumping
surplus on eBay in packages which is ok. However I always double check
pricing
online and often times see things selling for more than in the stores. And
if you
buy multiple item in a store you dont end up paying excess shipping costs.

Old March 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM
bassrecord

Ed said:

My son-in-law just made me a really slick fly tying bench and now I'm

trying
to get tools and supplies to stock it. I have been bidding on items on

ebay
but keep getting outbid. Has anyone had success buying on ebay?

How do you define success? I define ebay success as promptly receiving fly
shop quality fly tying materials cheaper than comparable sources without
more hassle.
After 50-60 ebay material buys my experiences follow but yours may vary:
1. I get outbid 70-80% of the time because people will pay more than, or as
much as, perceived fly shop prices.
2. I only bid on less than 1% stuff offered because I do not need it OR the
perceived quality is so low it's not worth having.
3. I refuse to bid on money orders only or PayPal or those who won't accept
a personal check. About 10% of the time I have been stiffed - they cashed
my check and failed to send fly materials or respond.
4. Upon examination and use of the material, nothing bought on ebay EXCEEDS
the sellers description.
5. Ebay Fly tying materials are often very old, repackaged, faded, home
made, home dyed, inconsistant length, seconds, used from, etc.
6. Descriptions are often deceptive, misleading but if you give negative
feedback the sellers can and will give feedback and your comment will be
rebuted.
7. Be aware that people use software to milk ebay auctions to outbid you
seconds before auctions end thus defeating your bid.

In lieu of the ebay crapshoot, may I suggest the following:
1. Attend fly shows. I was at one last Saturday that had 20-30 baskets of
all kinds of materials including hair by the square foot!
2. Ask your fly shop for discontinued materials or sale items.
3. Mail order sites often have grab bag sales of bulk itrems
4. Fly clubs often have raffles, donations for sale and group buying for
materials and tools.

Good luck!
John

Old April 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Steve C.

I've met folks who seem to THRIVE on "E Bay" buying and selling. I've
looked at their site but haven't found any useful items that I wasn't able
to find for "reasonable" price in my OWN neck of the woods.
For me..........I prefer looking in the local papers, and checking with
friends for the items I need. E Bay seems to be so labor intensive, what
with the bidding process, and then the wait, and then more waiting,
...........I coulda had what I wanted LONG before that. (Unless of course,
you are willing to pay the price suggested, up front).