Drop Shot rod

Old October 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Drop Shot rod

I got one of Steve's drop shot rods, partly because RichZ said they
were the best he had used. Last weekend I caught about 15 bass on it -
loved it. It really does make a difference when dropshotting. Would not
have beleived the rod could make that much difference feeling the fish
since I keep my trigger finger on the line, but it did. Thanks Steven
and Rich!

I was using 8 pound PLine Flouroclear, red #1 Standout drop shot hook
and 1/5 ounceMojo weights. I think I will stick with that rig even tho
in the past I have just used #1 offset hooks and bullet sinkers pegged
to the end of the line.

Most of the fish I caught were small spots 11 to 13 inches and they
were holding in 26 feet of water in brush. I did get on a school of 11
inch largemouth in 28 feet of water under a school of shad - was
surprised to catch such small bass so deep.

Ronnie
'
http://fishing.about.com

Old October 18th, 2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dang, I'm glad to hear you like the rod. I always worry when I send a rod
out until I hear a report back.

Congratulations on your success.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old October 18th, 2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I got one of Steve's drop shot rods, partly because RichZ said they
were the best he had used.

yada yada yada

Dang, I'm glad to hear you like the rod. I always worry when I send a rod
out until I hear a report back.

Actually Steve, that reminds me. I broke my backup DS rod (my old
allstar, not the Huber) a couple weeks ago, and feel naked with just one
in the boat. You up to building?
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Ronnie wrote:

I was using 8 pound PLine Flouroclear, red #1 Standout drop shot hook
and 1/5 ounceMojo weights. I think I will stick with that rig even tho
in the past I have just used #1 offset hooks and bullet sinkers pegged
to the end of the line.

Ronnie may I suggest using the Mojo Rock Hopper weight drop shotting,
although it is a bit more complicated to attach for drop shotting, you
loose 20 times fewer weights.

To attach a Rock Hopper for drop shotting you run the line through the
weight, then tie a loop knot in the end of the line, place this loop
around the bottom of the weight and slide it up to the hole

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I lost only one weight in two days so it was not much of a problem. I
was surprised how much I liked the ease of hooking up the drop shot
weight. It was thrown off a few times by fish while trying to unhook
them and it really hooked back up easily.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Ronnie wrote:
I lost only one weight in two days so it was not much of a problem. I
was surprised how much I liked the ease of hooking up the drop shot
weight. It was thrown off a few times by fish while trying to unhook
them and it really hooked back up easily.

Were you using the pineapple or the drop shot Mojo weight ?

If your not fishing in rocks you won't loose many, but if you are,
chances are high you can loose a bunch of them

I started rigging the Rock Hopper for drop shotting, even though I've
got tons of the Mojo drop shot, and pineapple weights, I just don't like
to put weights on, regardless how easy it is :-)