Spawning Questions

Old May 9th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Thundercat

Default Spawning Questions

In general, to the smaller or larger bass spawn earlier? Is there even
a general consensus on this?

I ask this because my last few outings (bank walking) have offered up
nothing but a few females busting fat with eggs. All of them have been
very small. My largest reaching maybe twelve inches. Could it be that
the larger fish are out away from the bank on larger flats that are
inaccessable to, and undisturbed by fishing pressure? These are
shallow ponds that do not allow boat access at all.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Some research has in fact stated that for smallmouth during the "pre spawn"
period, the larger fish do tend to stay farther away from shore in areas
where depth is adequate for the ideal conditions for rearing the species.
Check out the water temp on that body of water and the moon phase as these
are the determining factors that will bring them to bed up and start
spawning.
All smallmouths where shallowest during the spawning season. I'm almost
sure you are talking LMs here but from an understanding point of view, the
larger the fish the more geared to cover the larger fish will instinctually
be.
I personally don't think "fishing pressure" has anything to do with catching
fish. All fish are catcheable. I prefer to follow a bank beater because he
has often times awoke the fish in an area. Bank beaters often miss
interested fish they spent their time attracting and move on.
--
Stony
"Thundercat" wrote in message
In general, to the smaller or larger bass spawn earlier? Is there even
a general consensus on this?

I ask this because my last few outings (bank walking) have offered up
nothing but a few females busting fat with eggs. All of them have been
very small. My largest reaching maybe twelve inches. Could it be that
the larger fish are out away from the bank on larger flats that are
inaccessable to, and undisturbed by fishing pressure? These are
shallow ponds that do not allow boat access at all.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

---

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Rob Storm

All fish are catcheable. I prefer to follow a bank beater because he
has often times awoke the fish in an area. Bank beaters often miss
interested fish they spent their time attracting and move on.

What are you're favorite tactics and lures when you're following closely on
the heels of a bank beater?

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Rob Storm

Harry -- it's always seemed to me that I caught bigger spawners in January and
february (here in Texas) and smaller ones later on in the spring. BTW -- did
you see all the spawners in Florida? I would never have guessed that south
Florida bass would have spawned so late in the season, but Charles pointed out
to me quite a few beds that still had bass on them.

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
alwaysfishking

Sometimes you might not want to follow the bank beater depending on who he
is. If I follow Harry chances are I won't catch a fish all day

Old May 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

I must tell you first off I am a dyed in the wool soft plastics fisherman. I
use spinnerbaits and cranks the least of all. I do not fish for numbers
unless in a tournament. I do carefully watch the bank beaters and how they
are presenting and what they are using. If they hit a laydown and fish it
from deep to shallow and go through a surface, spinnerbait and soft plastic
presentations I will not follow them at all but if they only hit one or two
depths with one kind of tactic then I will certainly be more than happy to
be on clean up. You can tell a serious angler by the way he approaches a
bit of structure or cover. Some guys will often just use a surface bait
to hit the pockets of a lay down and forget the mid depths, deep water and
the J&P opportunities. Weedy points with islands and close proximity to deep
water are good spots to fish after a BB has move through. The five to ten
minutes or so after is prime for me and usually start with a tube from the
deep water and make my way inwards. Jig and worms on the outside edges and
"T" rigs on the inside weed edges. All the surface action has alerted the
fish in the area and has their attention looking upwards waiting for sinking
baits. Often times just a simple softly landed 1/8 oz. tube with a couple of
walk the dog zooms across the surface and the odd twitch on the way down can
trigger a bite. A slowed down presentation in muskie and northern water
never hurts. Fishing fast does not have a high large-fish-to-hook-up-ratio
in my books. Another tip is if you feel a bite do not reel in, let it go
back down even to the bottom give out some line, chances are good that those
fish are still there and will hit again! Let them think they have injured
it, it is helpless and an easy target to go after again. They don't go far
if there is a meal involved. (one good reason I like scent and use it all
the time) Drop shotting is another good follow up rig. Reeling in too fast
can turn off an interested big fish as well.
--
Stony

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Rob Storm

Sounds like good info. Thanks!

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Jim Crowley and I wrote an article in the FAQ about fishing for "pressured
fish" you maybe want to check that out as well.
--
Stony