another wader question

Old July 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM
snakefiddler

Default another wader question

i won't be purchasing a pair of waders until fall, but i looked at some
today. i'm hoping that some of ya'll may have had an experience similar to
the one i had, maybe with a wife, girlfriend, daughter, or someone. i tried
on a pair of smalls. they were pretty big in the hips, and rear end (less
an issue than the length)- i wear a 61/2 shoe, (i'll be buying a sock
foot) so the foot fit, but they come up to between my neck and my shoulders.
an extra small will probably work for my height and weight (i am fairly
small), but the foot size would be too small.
any of ya'll have any experiences like this- or have any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

snakefiddler

Old July 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Scott Seidman

"snakefiddler" wrote in
:

i won't be purchasing a pair of waders until fall, but i looked at
some today. i'm hoping that some of ya'll may have had an experience
similar to the one i had, maybe with a wife, girlfriend, daughter, or
someone. i tried on a pair of smalls. they were pretty big in the
hips, and rear end (less an issue than the length)- i wear a 61/2
shoe, (i'll be buying a sock foot) so the foot fit, but they come up
to between my neck and my shoulders. an extra small will probably work
for my height and weight (i am fairly small), but the foot size would
be too small. any of ya'll have any experiences like this- or have any
ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

snakefiddler

Get a pair made for women.

Scott

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Tim Lysyk

Either look at waders made specifically for women, or get them made custom.
My wife had her waders custom made, most manufacturer's will do that. It
costs more, but is worth it. Also, make sure the foot fits properly.

Tim Lysyk

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Svend Tang-Petersen

snakefiddler wrote:

i won't be purchasing a pair of waders until fall, but i looked at some
today. i'm hoping that some of ya'll may have had an experience similar to
the one i had, maybe with a wife, girlfriend, daughter, or someone. i tried
on a pair of smalls. they were pretty big in the hips, and rear end (less
an issue than the length)- i wear a 61/2 shoe, (i'll be buying a sock
foot) so the foot fit, but they come up to between my neck and my shoulders.
an extra small will probably work for my height and weight (i am fairly
small), but the foot size would be too small.
any of ya'll have any experiences like this- or have any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

snakefiddler

I know there's a fair amount of Orvis bashing here, but they do have waders for
women:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...bcat%5Fid=7303

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, snakefiddler wrote:

on a pair of smalls. they were pretty big in the hips, and rear end (less
an issue than the length)-

Big is not an issue. Tight would be a problem. Mu
\ Mu Young Lee
remove all dashes and underscores in reply address
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:57 AM
snakefiddler

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"snakefiddler" wrote in
:

i won't be purchasing a pair of waders until fall, but i looked at
some today. i'm hoping that some of ya'll may have had an experience
similar to the one i had, maybe with a wife, girlfriend, daughter, or
someone. i tried on a pair of smalls. they were pretty big in the
hips, and rear end (less an issue than the length)- i wear a 61/2
shoe, (i'll be buying a sock foot) so the foot fit, but they come up
to between my neck and my shoulders. an extra small will probably work
for my height and weight (i am fairly small), but the foot size would
be too small. any of ya'll have any experiences like this- or have any
ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

snakefiddler

Get a pair made for women.

Scott

even with women's waders, there is a foot size/ height compatibility issue.
i have time to look into it further, though, and i will. i have looked at
some on the internet, and have seen a couple that come close. i may just
have to bite the bullet, and buy a pair a little long, so long as they will
still fit under my armpits. i'm really not concerned with how loosely they
fit. i'm also thinking that maybe a large boy's size might work.
custom made would be nice, but can't do it on my student budget.

snakefiddler

snake

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM
John Richardson

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

Get a pair made for women.

Scott

even with women's waders, there is a foot size/ height compatibility

issue.
i have time to look into it further, though, and i will. i have looked at
some on the internet, and have seen a couple that come close. i may just
have to bite the bullet, and buy a pair a little long, so long as they

will
still fit under my armpits. i'm really not concerned with how loosely

they
fit. i'm also thinking that maybe a large boy's size might work.
custom made would be nice, but can't do it on my student budget.

snakefiddler

I don't think the height of your waders is going to be a big issue. Even if
you are a dwarf, you're going to have a hard time finding chest-wader water
you're going to want to hang out in. Casting is a huge pain when you're up
to your chest in water. Although I'm a long way from a dwarf, I rarely
stand in water above my waist. Usually the current is too strong, even
though I'm not a floater. If I can't reach a spot by casting to it, I blame
my casting, not my waders. I view the wader part above my waist as
anti-1/4-1/2-3/4-full-Reid protection. I only use it when I think I need
it. What I look for in a wader is foot size and leg length. If both of
those are satisfactory, I'm happy with them. None of them fit any of us
perfectly. I've got a pair of Patagonia's I bought on sale for a deep
discount. They don't fit anywhere, but I love them. What I love about
them is the fact that I can turn them into waist high waders easily, which
is the way I use them 90% of the time. If you can be comfortable in your
full waders while wearing them as hip-waders, in my opinion, you've got a
good set of waders.

John

Old July 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:39:36 -0400, "snakefiddler"
wrote:

any of ya'll have any experiences like this- or have any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

No help, but I have half of the same problem. get 'em big enough to
fit me and the feet are too big. Bah. I have to lose weight. I have
a very nice pair of breathable Cabela's women's size (it was an
excellent sale). Too tight to get into above the pelvis. Too tight
to wear anything under above the ankles. Feet are just fine,
however...

Then there's the pair of neoprenes. I might have to do some cut and
glue (a gracious gift from someone who didn't want to fix the leaks
and didn't want them going to waste. Once on above the waist, however,
they weigh a lot (and will weigh much more with water in) and my waist
suddenly looks as if it's well above where my real chest is. If I cut
them at the waist, maybe they'll work well. No way I go in deep fast
water very deeply, anyway. Even with a jacket on, one can have some
deadly troubles wading in deep water.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Steve Sullivan

In article ,
"snakefiddler" wrote:

even with women's waders, there is a foot size/ height compatibility issue.
i have time to look into it further, though, and i will. i have looked at
some on the internet, and have seen a couple that come close. i may just
have to bite the bullet, and buy a pair a little long, so long as they will
still fit under my armpits. i'm really not concerned with how loosely they
fit. i'm also thinking that maybe a large boy's size might work.
custom made would be nice, but can't do it on my student budget.

There is the ticket. A kids size might be less expensive as well.