Why two (2) rod tips?

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Why two (2) rod tips?

I've been gettin' schooled in bamboo lately, tryin' to find out exactly what
happened to the Orvis rod I received. One thing that the Orvis folks and
several rod trader/dealers couldn't understand or fathom was that this rod
came originally with one tip.

I was given a reason for the extra tip and just wanted to find out if other
folks knew this reason as well.

So, what is the reason for the extra tip?

Op

Old May 5th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in news:UsP6g.60837
:

So, what is the reason for the extra tip?

When you fight a really big fish, just one tip would never do the job, so
you use both tips.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote

So, what is the reason for the extra tip?

I always heard it was something to do with the cane developing a permanent
'set' from being bent if the same tip was fished several days in a row
without a chance to 'rest' .... seemed like BS to me, but then most 'cane
lore' has a faint 'odour de pasture patty' if you ask me G

Larry ( who is the proud owner of an E.C.Powell cane rod built in 1927 that
has two tips, both well rested )

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L. writes......
seemed like BS to me, but then most 'cane
lore' has a faint 'odour de pasture patty' if you ask me G

It is NOT BS. It is correct. You rest it to take out the set.
Joel

Old May 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Joel *DFD*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry L. writes......
seemed like BS to me, but then most 'cane
lore' has a faint 'odour de pasture patty' if you ask me G

It is NOT BS. It is correct. You rest it to take out the set.
Joel

Okay, according to Orvis and a fellow that they directed me to, the primary
reason is that you are supposed to alternate tips each time out. Not
because of "set," but because over time the 'boo fibers loosen and cause the
rod to have a lower, more wimpy action. If each tip is used the same number
of times, it should lengthen the life of the rods overall casting quality.

It is my understanding that "set" shouldn't be a problem, if proper rod
maintenance is maintained over the life of the rod.

Op

Old May 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message
. ..
I've been gettin' schooled in bamboo lately, tryin' to find out exactly

what
happened to the Orvis rod I received. One thing that the Orvis folks and
several rod trader/dealers couldn't understand or fathom was that this rod
came originally with one tip.

I was given a reason for the extra tip and just wanted to find out if

other
folks knew this reason as well.

So, what is the reason for the extra tip?

Op

if only George Gherke was still with us... for questions like this.

Old May 7th, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
"Joel *DFD*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry L. writes......
seemed like BS to me, but then most 'cane
lore' has a faint 'odour de pasture patty' if you ask me G

It is NOT BS. It is correct. You rest it to take out the set.
Joel

Okay, according to Orvis and a fellow that they directed me to, the primary
reason is that you are supposed to alternate tips each time out. Not
because of "set," but because over time the 'boo fibers loosen and cause the
rod to have a lower, more wimpy action. If each tip is used the same number
of times, it should lengthen the life of the rods overall casting quality.

It is my understanding that "set" shouldn't be a problem, if proper rod
maintenance is maintained over the life of the rod.

Op

My understanding when I bought mine was the alternate use of two tips
would even out the wear. Cane will develop a "softer" action over time,
and ferrules will wear out. The two tip option also allows an angler to
keep fishing should one tip break, which is not an uncommon occurence.
In some ways, cane is tougher than graphite, but in other ways it is
more fragile.

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"George Adams" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
"Joel *DFD*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry L. writes......
[...]

Yeah, that's what I was tryin' to say, when I said, "and cause the rod to
have a lower [should have read *slower*, but softer, as you said, is more
accurate], more wimpy action."

And yes, the extra tip does server as a spare, but that was not the
*primary* reason for the second tip, acccordin' to the so-called experts.
They never mentioned anything about ferrule wear?

Op --I have no original info of my own, just regurgitating other's words--

Old May 8th, 2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 6 May 2006 16:43:05 -0700, "George Adams"
wrote:

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
"Joel *DFD*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry L. writes......
[...]

FWIW, a "set" wouldn't happen in the tip alone, but being thinner, would
be more pronounced in it. There are several reasons to have a 2nd tip,
even wear and "accident insurance" being the two best ones, and
depending on the taper, "set" being a third.

TC,