Orvis Premium Fly Tying Kit?

Old September 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM
jeffc

Default Orvis Premium Fly Tying Kit?

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
I've been tying for over 20 years and I have never seen a set that was

worth
half of what it is selling for.

I wouldn't go that far. That are tool sets, at least, that are very
worthwhile - in fact a slight discount if you happen to want those tools.

Old September 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM
flytyer

Tim,
Another option to the "kit" would be to identify the flies commonly used on
your home waters with success. Then purchase the materials to tie those
flies. The shop owner and other mentors can suggest the "easier to tie
flies", form that group, on which you can start. I heartily agree with the
recommendation of taking a beginner's class. Books are great- some better
than others- but they do not listen when you have a question, nor can they
place materials on the hook for you like an instructor can.
Best wishes for many years of tying and fishing those flies.--
G.S. "Stack" Scoville, Jr., Owner, FLYTYER FLIES
Specializing in Framed Atlantic Salmon
and Spey Flies for the Collector

"Tim G" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm a non-fly-tying fly fisherman - one of those - who finally thinks
he needs to get into tying.

Snip

Old October 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
riverman

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message

"Big Dale" wrote in message
Dave gave some pretty good advice here. When you take the course ask the
teacher to explain how to choose the correct materials and how to avoid

the
wrong ones. I found this the most difficult thing for most of us to learn

in
the beginning. It is not too bad with the synthetics, but choosing the

correct
natural materials is the most difficult for me to learn then and after a

couple
of decades as well.

----------------
Lots of great advice given on this thread! My own .02 will seem minor,
but
it has been a real benefit to me personally. IF and only IF you decide,
after following the previous advice, you do want to get into fly tying
make
sure you have a permanent place to setup your fly tying stuff. The reason
say this is that some of my fly fishin' associates have a 'portable' fly
tying station and slowly over time they just don't bother to haul it all
out
to tie a few flies. I have a desk, lamp and all my tools within easy
access, so when I get a minute I can sit down and tie a few without a big
production thing.

Excellent and obvious observation, Chris! And strangely enough, it only
dawned on me last night! I was tying up a dozen flies, and my portable kit
has just reached critical mass where its not so simple to haul out all the
varieties of dubbing, hackle, hardware, etc. I was buried up to my ankles in
piles of stuff, and once I was done and put it all away again, my thought
was that I didn't want all that tidying up work do do afterwards again. I'm
setting up a permanent station tonight.

--riverman

Old October 7th, 2004, 04:42 PM
riverman

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
If you don't like it, You can sell the vise, and you're
probably only invested for $20-$30 at the end.

Maybe even less if you bought the stuff used on eBay to begin with.

And less even yet if you know of anyone who tried it, decided they didn't
like it, and is selling a whole kit with all the materials and hardware.

But then we're back at stage one!

I think, to modify Dave's initial advise, I'd say if you can get into a
complete kit (especially used) for a very reasonable price (under $30-40),
then go ahead and get it and see if you like it. Taking a class or finding
out if you really want to start tying is a nice idea, but if you can get
puttering around a bit on your own on the cheap, go for it.

The thing to avoid is to go buy the best of all materials, keep adding to it
until you have hundreds of dollars invested, and THEN decide that you really
don't like it!

--riverman