Orvis Premium Fly Tying Kit?

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM
DaveMohnsen

Default Orvis Premium Fly Tying Kit?

"Tim G" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm a non-fly-tying fly fisherman - one of those - who finally thinks
he needs to get into tying.

(snip)

With that in mind, does anyone have any thoughts on the Orvis Premium
Fly Tying Kit? I ask about this one because I'd seen a post back when
saying that it actually wasn't so bad...

Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim,
Good advice by all. The taking a class thing is important.
But, be smart about it. Ask for an outline of what is to be covered during
the class. I used to teach. 4 sessions advertised at 2 hours each, which
usually went 2 1/2-3 hours. I furnished everything. Would only take 6
people for a class. Spent a lot of time covering the selecting materials.
Did 12 flies in four sessions. ( the first fly was a woolly bugger . .
..only fly tied for the first session)

Surprisingly, I seemed to continually have a person or so come to a class,
who had previously had a fly tying class . . .uhh . . .and though, thinking
some level of competence, and trying to " help" me, didn't understand the
basics. Thus showing to me anyhow, the various levels of quality of
instruction that seems to happen. I've met some great guides, in my
opinion, that I wouldn't trust to teach any fly tying stuff.
(sooooo . . . . get the outline . . .the course should provide everything .
.. .don't trust the folks that want you to bring your own tools)

Ohh . . . and the Orvis Kit . . .$249.00 US. Are you kidding? The best
thing about the kit is Tom Rosenbauer's Tying Guide, which people here and
on ROFF have mentioned. ( heh . . .heh . . .I have never seen it . . .I
have met Tom a couple times . . . on other occasions . . .of which he will
never recall . . .but I got the impression, that if he focused on it, it
maybe a pretty good primer.)

Well Tim, where are you located? If in the US, email me.
I'd be willing to send a set of the "cheap" hardware to get you started.
( you would owe me "one" woolly bugger . . .heck, even I need something from
my investment)
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old September 24th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Sierra fisher

I've been tying for over 20 years and I have never seen a set that was worth
half of what it is selling for. As others have stated, get into a lesson,
buy the materials you need for the lesson. Pick out another fly. Buy the
materials you need for tha fly. Keep going......... You will end up with a
lot better value. you will also end up wtih the materials you need and use.

Even if you buy this kit, you will soon be at the fly shop to buy something
that isn't in the kit

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Tim G" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm a non-fly-tying fly fisherman - one of those - who finally thinks
he needs to get into tying.

I've combed your old posts, and read all your warnings against buying
a fly-tying kit... yet, still, I can't help but think that a good kit
might not be a bad way to go, simply for learning's sake. I
understand that I'll certainly be buying new materials (and not using
some that come with the kit), possibly buying some new tools later
on... and that overall it might not be the most cost-effective way to
go... but even so, I still can't help but think this might just make
things a bit easier to start.

With that in mind, does anyone have any thoughts on the Orvis Premium
Fly Tying Kit? I ask about this one because I'd seen a post back when
saying that it actually wasn't so bad...

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions for any other good kits, are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

Old September 25th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Padishar Creel

"Big Dale" wrote in message
Dave gave some pretty good advice here. When you take the course ask the
teacher to explain how to choose the correct materials and how to avoid

the
wrong ones. I found this the most difficult thing for most of us to learn

in
the beginning. It is not too bad with the synthetics, but choosing the

correct
natural materials is the most difficult for me to learn then and after a

couple
of decades as well.

----------------
Lots of great advice given on this thread! My own .02 will seem minor, but
it has been a real benefit to me personally. IF and only IF you decide,
after following the previous advice, you do want to get into fly tying make
sure you have a permanent place to setup your fly tying stuff. The reason I
say this is that some of my fly fishin' associates have a 'portable' fly
tying station and slowly over time they just don't bother to haul it all out
to tie a few flies. I have a desk, lamp and all my tools within easy
access, so when I get a minute I can sit down and tie a few without a big
production thing.

FWIW Chris

Old September 25th, 2004, 08:35 AM
John

Tim asked:

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions for any other good kits, are
greatly appreciated.

If you buy a kit off the shelf to start with, chances are the kit will
contain some material you won't use for a long while, maybe never. Skip the
Orvis kit. Also pass on Ebay antique kits or yard sale kits to start with.

Check out your local community college or University fly tying classes.
They probably will tie flies for your local area. They may offer basic,
intermediate and advanced classes. They may offer specific tying classes
such as for trout, bass, panfish, steelhead, salmon, etc. The instructor
may have collected kits for the class made available through the student
store. If you start this way, you'll only have the material you need to tie
specific class patterns, initially.

Later as you take additional fly tying courses at fishing clubs, fly shops,
trade shows, etc. you can add the materials and upgrade your tools to fit
your individual needs.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
John

Remove FLY to reply

Old September 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM
jeffc

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
Tim G. writes:

snip

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions for any other good kits, are
greatly appreciated.

You could possibly save yourself some money by seeing if you *enjoy* tying
flies.

Yeah, that's a good reason to start smaller than a full kit.

Old September 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
jeffc

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
If you don't like it, You can sell the vise, and you're
probably only invested for $20-$30 at the end.

Maybe even less if you bought the stuff used on eBay to begin with.

Old September 25th, 2004, 03:42 PM
jeffc

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
I've been tying for over 20 years and I have never seen a set that was

worth
half of what it is selling for.

I wouldn't go that far. That are tool sets, at least, that are very
worthwhile - in fact a slight discount if you happen to want those tools.