The eagle flys on Friday

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Richard Liebert

Default The eagle flys on Friday

All kidding aside, I was somewhat frustrated "looking" for bass on my home
lake earlier this summer. Being a devotee of Rich Z's book, I tried to think
like a bass, not the master of a tackle box. Sure enough, as I was looking
out over the lake I saw an eagle swoop down and pluck a small bait fish out
of the water. A few minutes later I was casting a floating rapala in the
vicinity of where the eagle grabbed his meal. It wasn't long until I had a
nice fat bass in the live well.

Sometimes it pays to step back and re-think your approach towards finding
fish.

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Chris Rennert

That is one of the best examples of being aware of nature and your
surroundings. Rick Clunn lives by this , and has been very successful
because of it.
Great story!

Chris

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM
Jeff Durham

I do the same thing. I look for where the sea gulls are picking up bait
fish and start casting there. It does work.

Jeff

Old October 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM
Jeff Durham

In my situation, it has mostly been white bass. But also this past week, it
included saugeye as well. I was surprised to catch both fishing the same
way.

Jeff

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Jeff,

In the past around here, when the seagulls were flocking and pounding the
surface, 99.9% of the time it was white bass and you could catch 100 of
them relatively quickly.
In the past 2 years, 100% of the time I have ran into seagulls feeding and
fished that bite, It has been Smallmouth! Winnebago has boomed in the
last 5 years with smallmouth. Between ages 14-22 (I am 28 now) I Never
even caught a smallmouth on Winnebago, now I can go out and if I don't
catch 20 of them I had a bad day. But the seagulls are a good sign for
bass fisherman on Winnebago now :-).

Chris
"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
.. .
I do the same thing. I look for where the sea gulls are picking up bait
fish and start casting there. It does work.

Jeff

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...

Old October 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
Chris Rennert

Jeff,

I have run into the situation where we catch Walleye below schooling white
bass. As I am sure you notice, white bass run right through a school of
shad, injuring and killing the shad and then go to the surface and feed on
them. The Walleyes seem to school underneath the White bass and feed on the
shad that fall through the White bass school. I believe a Walleye pro here
patterned those Walleye a few years back to win a big tournament on
Winnebago.

Old October 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
go-bassn

....hopefully to be released later.

Nice job Richard, very observant of you. One tiny ripple on the opposite
side of a flat led me to one of the best days I've ever had here in PA,
about 50 good keepers including my first "double".

Pays to be observant.

Warren
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old October 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Jeff Durham

I had not thought that about that angle, but that definitely makes sense.
Since I like catching white bass and saugeye, it is a good situation. The
only thing that made this better is that this particular spot was a favorite
flyby for doves. Unfortunately, I left my shotgun at home, but that will be
corrected when I go out tomorrow.

Old October 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Richard Liebert

I never keep bass, however I keep trout occasionally if the situation
warrants. For example, we kept trout during a backpacking trip this past
summer in the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

BTW- Since you are a local Warren, the lake was Manor Lake in Tulleytown.
The eagle grabbed his meal off of the stump flats. I was working a white
spinnerbait along the far shore by the creek outlet when I saw him.

Old October 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM
go-bassn

That's quite a coincidence Richard buddy - remember that great day I was
talking about?

Yup, Manor Lake.

Warren