Salmon Netting

Old March 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game

Default Salmon Netting

I used to enjoy this time of the year, usually the first visit to the Teifi
at Cenarth, but somehow the prospect of driving some 6 hours, (one way)
catching a fish, (if I`m extremely lucky) then having to return it, does not
provide the excitement it used to.Therefore I do not bother going, then when
I am allowed to take a fish from mid June the conditions invariably tend to
make fishing extremely difficult. Leaving say latter September and October
for any "decent" fishing conditions - if I catch one fish a year (after
paying the Environmental Agency some £80.00 for the privilege) I suppose I
can then go home happy after a "season`s" fishing. The point I really would
like to make is why is say estuary netting still allowed? I have watched 2
netsmen on several occasions in one 2 hour period, taking more fish than I
could ever dream of taking in say 5 years of fishing. Also at the local pub
where I normally stay, a local boat owner brags about (and takes orders for
from other local people - restaurant owners etc) the amount of Salmon and
Sea Trout that he nets out in Cardigan Bay. Why do I get penalised when I am
fishing for pleasure, and yet the people netting estuaries etc do so
legally, solely to make money and no conscience regarding conservation.

Old March 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game

It has always been thus, though that is not a reason for the situation not
to change. It does require all of us to lobby MPs, support the net buy out
group etc. I remember visiting the Teifi in 1966, (yes, I go back that far!)
at what we then called Whitsun. There had been a summer spate and the river
was full of fresh fish (salmon). The two brothers who were the coracle men
then caught 120 fish in one day - as you say, more than a reasonable person
would expect to take in several seasons. I saw them being loaded into the
dealer's lorry. I thought it was disgraceful at the time, but no one would
take any notice, there were plenty for all, especially the greedy netsmen.
Now they are a dying resource, we are still not doing enough to protect
them.