Swift approval for Yellowstone snowmobile ban

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Sportsmen Against Bush

Default Swift approval for Yellowstone snowmobile ban

WASHINGTON, Dec. 16 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Today in Washington, D.C. a
federal judge reaffirmed the government's responsibility to provide
the highest protection in America's national parks.

Judge Emmett Sullivan blocked a decision by the Bush Administration to
continue snowmobile use in Yellowstone National Park. In its own study
this year, the Administration concluded that even the
latest-technology snowmobiles would cause air and noise pollution and
health risks for workers, visitors and wildlife. Tuesday's court
ruling requires a phase-out of snowmobiles to begin in Yellowstone.
The decision drew immediate praise from a variety of citizens and
experts:

"Yellowstone is where our country first said, 'This is what our
national parks mean to us.' This ruling reaffirms that fundamental
purpose. Our duty is to take care of our national parks as fully as
possible so that we pass them in good health to our grandchildren. Had
we let that principle slip in Yellowstone to benefit the snowmobile
industry, it would have set a terrible precedent in all our national
parks." -- Denis P. Galvin, Deputy Director of the National Park
Service under presidents Reagan, Clinton and during the first year of
President George W. Bush's administration. Phone: 406-581-6489

--

"Today's decision confirms what Yellowstone was meant to be. This
struggle was not against Americans who like their snowmobiles, but

--

"I'm a professional guide and photographer and have spent 25 years in
Yellowstone. I couldn't be happier with this ruling. Yellowstone is

--

"As someone who proudly wore a National Park Service uniform for more
than 30 years, I'm overjoyed. This ruling says that as a country we're

--

"This ruling is already rippling through the National Parks. It will
be a huge morale boost for men and women who wear the Park Service
uniform. For three years in the first national park, the Bush
Administration has been pushing to toss aside what the Park Service
conscientiously determined is necessary to protect Yellowstone and the
health of employees and visitors. It has been shocking and
demoralizing to be told, in effect, 'We know what is best for people's
health and the park, but we're not doing that because the snowmobile
industry wants something else.' The Administration had placed the
fundamental mission of the Park Service in doubt-today, that shadow
has been lifted. The court has reaffirmed that our responsibility is
to protect the national parks as fully as possible. Now, the employees
will be watching to see how the Administration adjusts its management
plans to comply with the judge's ruling." -- Rick Smith, a 30-year
veteran of the National Park Service, served as Acting Superintendent
of Yellowstone National Park. Phone: 505-259-7161

---

NOTE: B-roll of snowmobiles in Yellowstone is available. Please call
406-581-6489.

http://www.usnewswire.com/