Chesapeake Bay/East Coast (DE, MD,VA,NC) Fishing Reports

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:24 PM
Brandon

Default Chesapeake Bay/East Coast (DE, MD,VA,NC) Fishing Reports

TidalFish.com's Weekly Chesapeake Bay/Mid Atlantic Fishing reports:

The theme for this week seems to be feast or famine. Cicadas are here
in force and many of our freshwater fisheries are simply outstanding.
Middle Bay anglers are reporting that the clamworm hatch is in full
swing and fish are keying in on them. Aside from these occurrences,
things seem to be in a state of transition and fish should settle into
their seasonal patterns within the next two weeks. I've received that
croaker are starting to show up in Middle Bay waters while chumming
for rockfish is good in the Southern portion of the Bay.

Upper Chesapeake Bay (from the Susquehanna Flats down to the Bay
Bridge

Brett Gaba reports that the shad are out of the Susquehanna, but the
fishing ther is still red hot. Brett emailed and said, "I fished the
mouth of Deer Creek on Sunday hoping for some late shad. I got there
and there were anglers and boats aplenty. After a few casts I realized
that the white perch were there in force and I lost track of how many
fish I caught on my 3 weight. I haven't been into white perch that
thick in a long time. Looks like I missed the shad run this year but
what a beautiful morning on the Susquehanna!"

Further downstream largemouth bass are turning being caught in the
vegetation on the Susquehanna Flats. Rockfish have not settled into
their summer patterns and are scattered throughout the upper portion
of the Bay. Trollers are picking up a stripers to 23" around Love
Point and other have had luck drifting cut bait through the Belvedere
Shoals.

Middle Bay area (Bay Bridge to the Potomac River:

The big news for Middle Bay anglers is the worm hatch that typically
comes near the end of May. The water is full of these spawning worms
and many fish are keying on them. The chumming may not be that good
right now but the bottom fishing is holding starting to take

The reports have plenty of pictures and more details on the Lower Bay
and Mid Atlantic Offshore. Instead of posting 5 pages here you can
visit the rest of the reporst at:
http://www.tidalfish.com/ref/anmview...?a=199&rpt=yes

Good Fishing!!!