Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/7/04

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/7/04

6/8/04

Well, the weather guy got it half right. The forecast for Saturday was for
showers, periods of rain, easterly wind, etc. Wrong! There was a little
easterly breeze, but not enough to keep anyone serious enough about fishing
tied to the dock. By Sunday he was finally right, and I don't believe anyone
fished, and if they did, they probably didn't have much fun.

We had a similar problem last June, when the forecast was for rain
practically every weekend in June, and they were correct, at least for the
west end of the island. By the end of the month the Chambers of Commerce
were all screaming at the news shows.

The fluke fishing has been holding up OK, except for Saturday, and the
easterly breeze might have affected it. There are virtually no fluke on the
south side right now. All the shorts that were there have moved up into the
rips. That will probably change though.

The seabass fishing out at Rocky Hill and probably other places to the south
has been pretty good, at least until the dogfish started infiltrating.
Hopefully it won't be a full fledged invasion.

The surfcasters had some pretty good action down by Gurneys, with fish up
top thirty pounds being taken.

There have been patches of birds around the Point with some pretty good bass
that some fly guys have gotten into, but not much has been happening for
them back toward Gardener's. That might change soon though. The boat I run
is tied up at Devon and there have been some bass wandering around in the
basin there.

As for the charter boats, talk to two different captains and you get two
different opinions for the same day. One says the bass fishing was a piece
of cake and the other says it was a struggle. I guess it all depends on
where you fish. One thing they agree with is that the grass is still a
problem on the ebb tide.

I have heard of at least one blue shark being taken fairly close in, so
running out to forty fathoms or so should produce fairly well.

Next Sunday is the Blessing of the Fleet. If you would like to take a ride
and participate, all you have to do is stop down and get on one of the party
boats. It's free, but keep in mind that next weekend is also the Golf
Tournament at Shinnecock, so if you have to drive back west traffic should
be considered.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Tropical Fishing Adventures