Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/1/04

Old June 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/1/04

6/1/04

We had a bit of an unusual occurrence here in Montauk - a Memorial Day
weekend with good weather for all three days. It started to spritz a bit in
the early afternoon, but not near enough to qualify as a rainout.

In the Spring things change fairly rapidly as fish pass by on the way to
wherever they are summering. The fluke fishing was kind of typical of that.
All of a sudden there were lots of shorts being caught where only a couple
of days back, everything was doormat types. The bigger fish moved out into
the Rips, which is a little earlier than one would expect, making room for
the smaller fish that took over the south side.

The bass fishing slowed a little during the week, but got back in shape by
the weekend, although with a smaller class of fish.

It was a little hard to check out the bass fishing over the weekend because
there were so few of the charter boats out. Bookings are typically slow on a
three day weekend - I think it's because so many guys get roped into family
things - but this was especially slow. I hope it isn't a sign of what's to
come for the rest of the year.

Nobody is talking about sharks yet, probably because it was so slow to start
last season. I imagine a boat or two will try next weekend, but the big push
probably won't come until the following one.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Tropical Fishing Adventures